1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

being cautious

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnviv, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnviv

johnviv Thread Starter

hi everyone
    my grandson has a acer laptop, with windows xp home it is about 2 years old
    everything is okay at this piont in time,
    what i would like to know, because he has lost his xp recovery disk, is it possible to make a new recovery disc from his laptop, just in case he has problems in the future,
    go easy on me, i am getting on the years, and new to computers
    many thanks in anticipation
    johnviv

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes

If you buy an application such as Acronis True Image, you can make a re-installable copy of the computer as it is right now, complete with all programs and data and all Windows updates.

But some laptops (and desktops) that have Windows pre-installed also have a "hidden partition" on the HDD that contains the Windows reinstallation files (but not the same as the "working copy" as described above). Some do not.

Recovery disks are important though and should be treated with care and kept safe. Sometimes you can buy replacements from the laptop maker.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice