1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Being logged on with to default profile.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by trewtzu, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trewtzu

trewtzu Thread Starter

Hii

last night when i went to got on i got a message along the lines of "cant load profile, being sent to temp profile". and true to its word, it logged me on with a default profile, by this i mean close to empty desktop and settings, very few services running and so on.

i poked around for a while and have found a few things,
    in event viewer under windows logs -> apps i have this error:
    "Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - Access is denied."

if i open up a cmd my default dir is set to "c:\users\TEMP\" but if i run "whoami" i get the correct "laptopname/Josht"

if i make a new profile they seem to load fine so at one point i thought id just try to migrate my self to a new accont but that fails as "You are currently logged in to a temp profile"

i also notced under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" that my user is called "\S-1-5-21-2874428609-2562944749-1494310866-1000.bak" none of the others have a .bak.

the sercuity on my home folder allows full control for "administrators" and "SYSTEM" but for "josht" (me) was missing "full control" and "modify", i thought this was a bit weird so i set it for full control but on sevreal folders it got denied access (AppData and alike)
    sadily it didnt help

im totally at a loss here, i have no idea what to try next, so basicly, any suggestions would be great!

im using a Dell laptop using a full updated win7. Im a final year CS student so it gets used for some crazy stuff (coding, gaming, virtualized environments, cygwin, image mounting programs, web page seving, sql, you name it, not to mention there are also sevreal o.s. on this hard disk).

last time it was working i was just doing some work over shh via putty, web browsing and patching some gamesm nothing too exciting.

so yeah, any help would be amazing
    thanks every one :)

2. trewtzu

trewtzu Thread Starter

also, sorry for the slightly mega post.

3. trewtzu

trewtzu Thread Starter

no one :(

ive half migrated by hand to a new profile, looks like thats going to be the best i can do :(

4. Lance1

Lance1

This default profile you are referring to, is it the guest account? Did you create a new profile? If you are a default profile, you would only have user privileges and not admin. How are you migrating from one profile to another?

5. trewtzu

trewtzu Thread Starter

i made a new admin account, and "migrating" is slightly kind, im more or less just starting a new. cuting and pasting files from one folder to the other (e.g c:/users/oldac/Desktop to the c:/user/newac/desktop )

its a pain as a lot more setting then you might realise are stored in places like appData. do you know if i can jsut copy that over too? i havent so far as i dont really no to much about it and ive been meaning to search for data about it.

what im trying to say is, AppData generic enough that i can copy it from one profile to another?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice