1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Being Redirected to phishing pages from legit pages (Ebay, Paypal, WellsFargo)

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by frippscratch, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frippscratch

frippscratch Thread Starter

For the last few days I have been getting some odd behavior when I try to access my accounts on several websites. When I access the legitimate website and try to log in, I am redirected to a phishing page which asks for account information, including credit card numbers, ATM Pin, etc.

There was one other post I found here that had what appeats to be the same problem, but I have not been able to successfully remove the issue myself from following the help you provided to him. (http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/736876-solved-ebay-paypal-fake-web.html)

Using OTScanIT and modifying slightly the fix script provided to the other user I was able to briefly get my Ebay account working again, but when I tried to access my bank account (Wells Fargo) I am now being redirected to the fake page again. I'm not sure what information it would be helpful to include here to help analyze what is going on. I recall having had this same problem once on another computer which is no longer experiencing the issue, but don't know what exactly I did to resolve it other than installing Avast and running a full clean (which I cannot do here, as this is a work computer that will not allow me to replace the existing virus scanning software). I do have limited installation capabilities on this machine, and have installed HijackThis and OTScanIT as well as Malwarebytes to aid in resolving this.

Please let me know what if anything I can do to fix this situation, including any logs you might need to help diagnose things.

Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/743592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice