1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belarc: CIS Benchmarks?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pandimensional, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandimensional

Pandimensional Thread Starter

How do I go about improving a CIS score? I'm confused about the benchmarks. Is this just a list of recommended settings?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You'd need to change the settings that are shown as failing. They give a description of each, but don't mention where to change them though.
    Many are set using the Local Security Policy tool, or the Group Policy Editor. Neither of which comes with XP Home. You can edit the registry directly to change settings though.

This link lists many of the registry keys that have to be edited directly, and lists the recommended settings.
    For XP Home, the Group Policy Settings Reference spreadsheet can be searched for a specific setting to find the key to set in XP Home.

To set File permissions, you need to turn off simple file sharing (Control Panel | Folder Options | View, uncheck Use simple file sharing, last item). For XP Home, you'll need to reboot to safe mode to see the security tab, or download the two reg files from this post of Elvandil's. Be sure to run the undo reg file when done.

These are just recommendations, and are geared more for a business environment rather than a home environment. The Auditing settings for example, forcing users to change passwords, only allowing strong passwords, minimum length, etc, might not be useful at home.

My score has never been higher than 1.88.

HTH

Jerry

3. hewee

hewee

I would get lost knowing what to do to change the score.
    I got XP Pro and it says... 3.13 of 10
    Guess the password ones would be the easyer ones to deal with and that would up my score.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice