1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin 54G Router can't connect, 192.168.2.1 not working!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alexiolim, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexiolim

alexiolim Thread Starter

Here's the story. My belkin 54G was working few years now. Just hours ago, I try to connect my iphone 3GS with belkin wifi. I go to the 192.168.2.1 (on my laptop - wifi), MAC address filtering and enable it. After insert my iphone 3gs ip address i press OK.

Here's the nightmare begin, after minutes. My internet connection is not working both on my laptop (wifi working but not internet) and the PC facing problem on internet connection. i try login again 192.168.2.1, hoping can restore it but it fail to load the page.

Anyone have any idea how to restore it?

Below is the screenshot of what I did.
    1. my ipconfig show new IP address, 169.254.242.229. i try using this address to access but fail to load.
    [​IMG]

2. ping 192.168.2.1 but unreachable.
    [​IMG]

3. detail of my network connection details.
    [​IMG]

4. set my TCP/IP properties
    [​IMG]

5. ipconfig manage to change it and ping working now.
    [​IMG]

6. to my disappointment, 192.168.2.1 still not working. can't enter it's web interface.
    [​IMG]

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    169.254.x.x is an address windows supplies when it cant find the DHCP service try a full powercycle

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
    • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
    • Wait at least 30 seconds.
    • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
    • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. alexiolim

alexiolim Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestion. i reboot/reset the pc twice. first "alternate configuration" another with automatic private ip address. both not working, result still same, can't connect with it. :(

found something interesting, my bytes sent was amazing high!
    PS: modem internet connection is not blinking.
    [​IMG]

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model of the modem and router Exact Model
    do you have a seperate Modem - if so connect a PC to the modem and lets see an ipconfig /all
    remember to do the powercycle again
    whats the status of ALL the lights on the modem

once thats working we can add the router back in

if a combination modem/router - whats the status off all the lights on the router - you may have to do a factory reset and reconfigure the router
    whos the ISP - is it cable or telephone connection

5. alexiolim

alexiolim Thread Starter

Model modem that not working is:
    Belkin F5D7632-4
    ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless G Router
    Light Status: Power, PC 1, Wifi & Telephone = Light ON
    Internet (Globe icon) = Light OFF
    Was plan to do factory reset, but I can't access 192.168.2.1 inside it's web interface to do it :(
    PS: did press the reset button at the back of the modem, not working either.
    PS: did with 192.168.1.2 as well, can't connect to internet either.

Here's the screenshot of my another working modem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    User Manual Here
    http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/p74725uk-c_f5d7632uk_man.pdf

if that is NOT working - turn the router off for a couple of hours and see if switching back on helps - otherwise sounds like the router is now faulty

7. the_seraphim

the_seraphim

how have none of you noticed that he has set his ip, his dns and his gateway to the same ip?

how is it that none of you have told him how to clear his arp cache or reset his tcp stack?

the problem isnt with the router, its with the machine trying to access the router.

ok so heres what you do because i dont remember all the details, you need to either set your ip and dns properly or let dhcp do it... you cant have your gateway, dns and ip all as 192.168.2.1, only the gateway should have that address, give your ip 192.168.2.10 and your dns set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

then try that, if that doesnt work then you need to reset your tcp stack..., someone else can talk you through the netstat commands you need

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice