1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Access Points and Internet problems.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by plipo, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plipo

plipo Thread Starter

hi,
    i've brought a wireless belkin broadband router and plugged it in the front room. I brought a belkin wireless access point and plugged it into my other computer. I wanted to extend the range for my laptop at the same time giving the pc wireless access. Is that the way to do it? cos it says in the manual that the ap has to be connected to a router. Is there anyway to get the pc to talk to the ap so it can talk to the wireles router? Plz help

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A wireless access point connects to an ethernet network and "extends" it to wireless. A wireless bridge connects to a wireless network and "extends" it to ethernet.

I'm not completely clear about what you are doing, but it sounds like you are trying to use the access point as a bridge. Some can be configured that way, some can't. Can yours?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is where the make/model of the equipment in questions comes in handy. ;)

4. plipo

plipo Thread Starter

sorry bout the late reply.

The Belkin Wireless G router has the model #F5D7633-4 and the Belkin wap is #F5D7130.
    The PC is connected to the AP but doesn't have an internet connection itself. The router is by itself in the front room. I want the AP to act like a wireless adaptor and connect to the router to give the PC net access. I think the wireless bridge is the idea i'm aiming for.

sorry for making it so confusing, I confuse myself.

5. UNIKSERV

UNIKSERV

That WAP can be configured as a bridge, please check your documentation on how to do that.

Joe

6. plipo

plipo Thread Starter

hey i finally did it after hours and hours workin on it. The documentation that comes with it doesn't really give you that much in depth help. - much like hit and miss. Thanks guys ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/519700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice