1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin ADSL modem/router: "NO connection" Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by John Orrell, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Orrell

John Orrell Thread Starter

...before I trash it!

Hi folks!

I've just bought a Belkin ADSL Modem with High Speed Wireless G-router. The networking bit ( = filesharing ) to my other PC = no probs, using the same company's wireless USB adapter, but I can NOT get it to connect to my Tiscali Internet account, and I'm on the point of putting it through the window.

On the grounds that I think new forum users like me should search to see if the question has already been asked/answered before, I did a search and did see that a chap called Diamond Geez had a very similar problem in July, but sadly I've not been able to get the solution offered to him to work in my case.

The scenario is that I've put my user-name and password in the appropriate boxes on the router's web-based set-up screen, and dispite the fact it's home page confirms the correct upstream/downstream figures and both modem-lights are illuminated green on the front of the modem/router, I cannot get it to connect, always showing "NO connection" in red at the top of the screen.

I've tried various options such as alternating the connection-type from PPPoE to PPPoA (and back again), I've tried LLC and VC/MUX encapsulation, all to no avail.

I have DHCP Server enabled on the LAN setup, I have DNS ticked as "Automatic from ISP"...I'm coming to the end of my thether!

Any geniuses any ideas before I set fire to the bloody thing?

Really, REALLY appreciated!
    John

2. John Orrell

3. sting06

sting06

First off, I'd call their tech support and have them ensure that you are setting up everything correctly on your end. I know that some ISPs have certain settings that must be set in order to establish the connetion.

I can't offer much help due to now knowing the architecture of their network. but...That's what I'd do...

4. John Orrell

Thanks I was hoping to do that as a very last resort...I have scanned the 'net and the general concensus is that Belkin's helpline is frustratingly impossible to get through to, and then when you do get through and explain your problem it's invariably blamed as a fault with your ISP. So you ring your ISP who say "well do you get connection with the modem we sent to you?", "Er, yes", "well it's not us then is it", and a stalemate occurs :(

5. sting06

sting06

I wasn't so much suggesting you call Belkin, but your actual ISP that provides your service. I know that some ISPs do not allow you to use a third party device, but you actually have to use there device which they provide for you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!