1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router WHAT IS ITS MAX INTERNET CONNECTION SPEED

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jamesace, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesace

jamesace Thread Starter

hi i have had the Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router for a while now and have had a tesco's 2.2mbs connection but i have just upgreaded to a tiscali 8mbs connection, i no i can get the full 8mbs speed through the supplied modem but am just wonederind if the Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router's buitl in modem is fast enogh to get the full 8mps or if it wil run slower. would be great to no i was just wondering

2. Camlax38

Camlax38

There THe belkin modem/gateway shouldnt limit your speed capabilities. You should be able to find the speed listed inside the modem's status page. To do this..
    Click start>run>In run type CMD
    In the black window type IPCONFIG and then enter. Note down your default gateway.
    Open a browser window and enter the gateway's address into it. Click go
    This should take you to your gateways graphical user interface.
    Look for a status tab or see if it lists connection speeds on the general page.

Also you can test speeds at different sites. Google search broadband speed test and choose 1 of the millions of sites

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're right on the limit. I have Verizon FiOS 15m/2m service, and I can get full bandwidth from wired connections, but with a wireless connection, the benchmark speed comes in at around 10m downloads. The router and adapter are 802.11g, and they have excellent signal strength. I suspect some of the issue is the fact that I'm using WPA encryption on the link, which adds overhead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!