1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Connection lost during phone calls

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WhatHurtsTheMost, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WhatHurtsTheMost

WhatHurtsTheMost Thread Starter

I am not a technical person at all so bear with me here. I'm gonna give you the info I think is important and if I'm missing something please let me know cause I really wanna fix this problem. Its driving me insane.

Okay so, about 2 years ago I bought my first laptop and the person I was with recommended my purchasing of a Belkin router. I bought the router, it worked great until this past summer when suddenly whenever somebody called my house phone, my connection was dropped. I was angry cause naturally I have those family members that want to call and talk on the phone with my mother for hours. Eventually I figured out I could work about the problem by hooking the Ethernet cord on my Westel directly to my laptop. Its a temporary fix though in my opinion because this requires me having to sit on the floor against my bed room door and this isn't comfortable, not to mention its also confining, I miss walking around the house with my laptop. Anyway this past weekend I decided to try buying a new Belking N300. This however didn't solve the problem, I still got my signal dropped whenever somebody called the house.

Okay right, so on to phase 2 of my attempt of fixing this problem. I went back to stamples and bought a Belkin N300 Micro. The first day this worked great and I was happy cause I could walk around my house again instead of feeling confined. But! the next day the connection was back to its old tricks again, dropping my connection whenever someone calls the house. You have no idea how much I despise that phone now. I'm really getting sick of this.

Do Belkins just suck??? or is there something that I'm missing? I called our phone company At&t before and had them come inspect it but they said the Westel was fine and blamed the Belkin. Any help you can give would be awesome, even if its just down to recommending a totally different brand of wireless hook up.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have a filter on the main phone line

I'm not an expert on US installations,but understand there maybe a DSL splitter on the main socket into the house

In the UK we have to add a filter to each telephone socket

I would expect a problem on the modem - but it may manifest itself onto the router

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Etaf: US has the same thing as the UK. :)

Question to you WHTM: if you were using Ethernet to the router, do you lose connection also? From what you have mentioned, it's possible that you are having radio interference with the phone (assuming that you are using cordless, most people do these days) as both the router and cordless phones run on 2.4GHz technology.

4. WhatHurtsTheMost

When I called At&t the first time, they sent me new filters for the sockets hoping that would help but it didn't. I still had the problem so thats when they came out to check the line and blamed the Belkin.

5. WhatHurtsTheMost

Um.....this is probably a stupid question but what do you mean by Ethernet to the router? Like having the Belkin itself hooked up to the Westel by that yellow cord?? Sorry again not a technical person here but if thats what you're asking then yeah I lose connection that way. The only way I can keep the connection for my laptop is if I unhook the yellow cord from the Belkin and plug it in directly to the laptop.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    and like that it works, error free

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James

This will be the same cable I am talking about. You will need another one to connect your laptop to the router.

8. WhatHurtsTheMost

My laptop is a Lenovo though so it only has one space for one of the yellow cords.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK... One cord goes from the modem to the router. Another cord will go from the router to the computer. Your new router should have a diagram on this setup.

10. WhatHurtsTheMost

Right its setup like that for the desktop and I don't lose connection on the desktop. My issue is with the laptop.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so all devices connected by cable are working fine and do not get disconnected - only wireless devices

do you have cordless phones at all - or are they all hardwired
    do you have any baby monitors

can we see an xirrus screen shot please
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

12. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Sounds like cordless phone interferrance, since there is no problem with the wired connection.
    As Couriant mentioned, majority of cordless phones also use 2.4 GHz and can interfer with wireless signals.
    What are the phones you are using? Make and model?
    If cordless, how close are the base units to the router?
    Moving the base units 4-5 fet away from the router might help.
    My old cordless used to cause the same problem and the base had to be 10 feet away from the Qwest/CL modem/router I had.

Found a couple of Uniden EX1976c models on E-Bay that were cheap and switched to them because they operate at 900 MHz and do not interfer with either B/G or N wireless.

13. WhatHurtsTheMost

Um.... okay bear with me cause to me all that you just wrote looks like a complete foreign language. If I can't figure out the xirrus screen thing I think I know a guy that can help me but I'll try. Um so am I gonna download that from my desktop then use the USB to install it into my laptop or vice versa?

14. WhatHurtsTheMost

Yes we have one cordless phone but its plugged into the kitchen whereas internet connection stuff is all in the bed room. the phone is a vtech and now that you mention it I think I started having trouble when we got this one.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a wireless channel change on the router may help - and xirrus will help us with this

if you plug the laptop into the router with a cable and download xirrus - that may save the copy

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice