1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin-Easy Transfer Cable for Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by icybrez, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icybrez

icybrez Thread Starter

Yesterday I bought a Gateway Vista and also purchased Belkin Easy Transfer Cable to transfer my info. from my HP windows XP to my new computer. It is suppose to be as easy as 1,2,3. Right.
    It has now been over 12 hrs. and the "Easy" Transfer has not happened yet! Is this normal? After 6 hrs. yesterday, I stopped it and started all over again. The same thing has happened. It doesn't say that it is transferring but the little green light on the "thingie" that plugs into the two computers, blinks green on and off and the new computer displays the "Install the Easy Transfer Cable and connect your computers page". If I ck to get out of it, it says " if you close no infor. will be deleted from your old computer but your transer selections will not be saved." Of course the two computers are connected. I don't mind it taking so long but I need to know if that is what it is suppose to do?
    Thanks,
    I love this site.
    Darlene

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you just want to transfer files, I would connect both PCs to your home network OR if you do not have that, you can use a simple crossover cable to network the pcs together. You can use the transfer wiz or just do it manually.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I gotta' go with the previous post, I wouldn't screw around with the "difficult transfer cable". :) Networking Vista is pretty simple, and will solve this issue.

4. icybrez

icybrez Thread Starter

I paid $40.00 for the Easy Transfer Cable software because I do not know how to do it myself. Has anyone else ever used this software?
    How exactly do I transfer without using software? Can I transfer my microsoft Word also? I added it on and do not have the cd any longer.
    Why is nothing ever simple!
    Thanks,
    Darlene

5. JohnWill

Did you try Belkin tech support? I did a search on this cable, and it claims to support Vista.

6. icybrez

icybrez Thread Starter

I called Belkins toll free support # and they do not work on weekends. I will have to wait until Monday to call them. I also e-mailed them but no response.
    My new Gateway is just sitting there with the Belkin screen with the picture of the connecting transfer cable on it. If I click on the X to get out, it tells me that "the transfer selections will not be saved", if I close this screen. It has nearly been 24 hours now. I did a alt ctrl delete and it says that the Belkin Easy Transfer is running.
    I really don't know what to do. Do you think it is really taking this long to transfer?
    Thanks a lot,
    Darlene

7. JohnWill

I doubt it's taking that long, something is obviously wrong. I have no experience with this product, so I really can't say what the issue is.

8. icybrez

icybrez Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. Since I can not get my $40.00 softwear to work, could you tell me how to transfer my pictures, music, files, etc. to my new gateway? You cann't just transfer your programs can you, like word?
    This stuff is too technical.
    Thanks,
    Darlene

9. JohnWill

10. testmon

testmon

I’m pretty sure you didn’t set it up correctly.

Did you install the software on the CD into the Windows XP computer? You need to do this first. Only for the XP computer.

Then you plug the cable into both computers. A wizard pops up on each computer and you click Next once or twice. You may have not completed this for both computers.

Then it should connect.

11. icybrez

icybrez Thread Starter

I am about to pull my hair out! I did install the cd in the xp computer, then connected cables, wizard pops up, ck next, then the screen "Install the Easy Transfer Cable and Connect Your Computers" on the windows Easy Tansfer screen appears. Then it just sits there FOREVER! I have tried this every way possible over and over and over and over. I have talked to and or e-mailed Gateway, Belkin, Miscrosoft and Laplink (Laplink is the software that Belkin Easy Transfer Cable uses.) Laplink said that I needed to install the cd in both computers. Tried that an hour ago. Still can not get it to work. No dought that I may be doing something wrong, I just need someone to tell me how to do it right. I have been at this computer since Friday, bascially all day trying. The directions say it as as easy as 1, 2, 3. PLEASE PLEAE HELP ME!
    Thanks so much,
    Darlene

12. testmon

testmon

Do both computers have the screen up that says "..Connect your computers"?

13. granddadjim

granddadjim

Darlene...be sure to let us know how it turns out and what you had to do to make it work.......if it ever does. gives one chills to read this when one is looking to buy this.

14. icybrez

icybrez Thread Starter

I FINALLY got my files to transfer. The only thing I changed was that I had my usb plugged in the front of both computers. I plugged the usb's to the back of both computers and it starting working?
    I am now to the point where the Windows Easy Transfer Companion is suppose to be running. It is downloaded to both my pc's like it said to do. When I try to run it on the new pc, I get
    "This computer appears to be set up for running multiple operating systems. This is currently not a supported scenario".
    How do I get this to run? What does it mean Multiple Operating Systems? I thought Windows Vista was my operating system? I can not finish my transferring without getting the download to work on both my computers.
    Do you have any suggestions as to what I need to do now?
    Thanks again,
    Darlene

15. testmon

testmon

Interesting—the USB ports must not have had enough power to run the cable. This has happened with MP3 players also where they don’t work with some USB ports. Glad to hear all the files transferred.

Not sure about the Companion software—that is beta software and says it doesn't support dual boot setups. Maybe HP made the PC dual boot for some reason?? There is support info provided on the site:

Additional Information
    Phone only support is offered, subject to the terms of the Microsoft Easy Transfer Companion Licensing Agreement.

Details on phone support:
    Phone Number: 866-234-6020
    Hours of Availability:
    Monday–Friday: 5AM-9PM Pacific Time
    Saturday–Sunday: 6AM-3PM Pacific Time
    North America English only
    Consumer level support only (Enterprise issues are not supported)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice