1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin G+

Discussion in 'Networking' started by enzo1291, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. enzo1291

enzo1291 Thread Starter

Okay, i got a problem with my internet setup.
    First my situation.
    I'm living in a student flat, where each student has his own room.
    Every room has an LAN outlet in the wall on which he is able to connect 1 device.
    If you like to connect more devices, we are advised to utilize a router.
    Our ISP gives us the right to only use 1 MAC-adress (for safety reasons), so there the router comes into play.

I have a Belkin G+ wireless router on which i would like to connect my phone and laptop by a wireless configuration and my TV (Toshiba 40TL933) by wire.

My laptop and phone work like a charm.
    When i insert my TV to the network, the whole thing collapses.

My ISP provided me with the information that i connected 2 MAC-adresses and therefore, i was cut off.
    This would be because of the fact that belkin routers (apparently) are notorious for providing more than 1 MAC adres.
    When i asked for the MAC-addresses, they gave me back these 2:
    * 00:00:00:00:00:00
    * 00:17:3f:0d:77:f5

The second one is from my Router.
    But where does the 00.00. etc come from?
    My ISP says that it is a virtual device, probably my TV i guess. Belkin says their routers do not forward multiple mac adresses.
    I wrote town the MAC adress from each of the other devices if they are needed.
    It appears to happen when i open the You tube channel on my tv...

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Welcome :)

It makes no sense to me. It sounds like the router is not doing NAT correctly or somewhere along the line the TV is bypassing the router. Can you do a factory reset on the router? Also how old is it?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might try cloning the TV's MAC to the router, too.

4. enzo1291

enzo1291 Thread Starter

Well. I am kicked out of the network again without my TV connected. So that isn't the problem on its own.
    I will contact my ISP and ask for the current error. More information follows on Monday or Tuesday.

I can give you this:
    Its a belkin wireles G+ router. (Whole type: belkin g f5d7231-4 wireless)
    I think it's from 2001 (old puppy, but i am not sure about this)
    Given it a reset, but wasn't able to check for updates because i got kicked out again. (I am now at my parents for the weekend).

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's probably just a different country version of my F5D7230-4 router. I got good service from mine for about four years, but the model is not a good one. I have a strong suspicion that the all-zeros MAC Address has nothing to do with anything connected to the router and everything to do with it beginning to fail in some unique way. Put "new router" on your gift wish list. :)

6. enzo1291

enzo1291 Thread Starter

Well, i cloned my IP, and it works fine now.
    I haven't tried my TV on this new configuration tough.

Could the problem lie within the use of proxys and TOR?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!