1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin N Wireless Adapter not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by silenthit101, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silenthit101

silenthit101 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have recently set up a wireless network using the Belkin N Wireless router. The router's connection to the internet is fine, and all three of the laptops connected to the network are able to access the internet.

As my PC did not come with a wireless card, I am using the Belkin N Wireless adapter supplied with the router. After initially installing the provided software and plugging in the adapter, I could not find my home network using the Belkin Wireless Utility, I could only see several secure local networks (indicating that the adapter at least was working).

However, after uninstalling and reinstalling the software, Windows refuses to identify the adapter, with a system tray window stating that a device that I have plugged in has malfunctioned, and directing me to the USB root hub, which defines the adapter as an unknown device, furthermore the Belkin software now displays no connections whatsoever. In addition, the LED on the adapter is not on when it is plugged in.

I am running Windows XP SP2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have trawled the internet and exhausted my own ideas as to what the problem could be. After emailing Belkin, I was twice sent an automated response telling me to disable WLANcfg.exe, although I can't find any such program in the system directory or elsewhere.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... the LED on the adapter is not on when it is plugged in."

Assuming that's a power LED, that could be a dead adapter. Plug it into a USB in another computer and see if the power LED comes on.

3. silenthit101

silenthit101 Thread Starter

well, thats what I thought. But then, the light didn't come on when it was picking up a few networks initially...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice