1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin N1 Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nightsurfer6, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightsurfer6

nightsurfer6 Thread Starter

Hey guys, Im having some trouble with my Belkin N1 wireless router. Version 1000. I recently updated the firmware for the first time on the router, and after it restarted, the 'Router' LED icon on the router itself is blinking, which means it is booting up, but it wont go away, and I cannot connect to the router in any way. I dont know what to do. Using the reset button on the back of the router doesnt work either. Can anybody help? I need to get it working ASAP. :confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is that the F5D8231-4? My guess is that the Version 1000 is like my Version 1000 of the F5D8232-4 (N1 Vision) was. Junk, to put it simply. The replacement I got for that in January is Version 2000 and is still working fine. I see that the F5D8231-4 is already up to Version 5000.

My only suggestion regarding help is to reset it to factory default settings. But, if the reset button doesn't even work for a simple restart you obviously can't do that.

The best part about Belkin is their pretty easy to use replacement policy/procedure.

3. ranjithts

ranjithts

Hi there

Sometimes a seemingly faulty router can be brought back to life by refreshing or updating the firmware through a different procedure

First, check if the router qualifies: connect it hard wired to a machine running Windows 2000 or Windows XP, set a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x range on the LAN card, open a DOS prompt and ping the router continuously with:

ping 192.168.2.1 -t -w 10

Now restart the router. During the start process, you should see a few replies to the ping. If there is no reply at all, the procedure below will not work. It is normal to receive timeouts again when the router has compelted the boot procedure.

If the unit qualifies for recovery, do the following. Download the latest firmware and save it to the root of drive C:. Open a DOS prompt and start a continuous PING to the router as in the previous paragraph. Open a second DOS prompt, change to the root of drive C: with "cd \" and Enter, and Enter the following command (do NOT press Enter yet):

tftp -i 192.168.2.1 put FirmwareFileName.bin

which, of course, you specify the correct file name for the firmware. Arrange the DOS windows in a way that the second one has the focus, but you can see the ping replies.

Now power cycle the router again. As soon as the first reply to the ping is visible in DOS window 1, press Enter in window 2 to execute the tftp command. After a few seconds you should see that it has completed successfully.

Now wait for a few minutes for the router to apply the firmware and restart itself. This can take up to 5 minutes. If successful, the ping window will display a continuous chain of replies. The router should then be recovered.

If the procedure fails the first time, try a few more times before declaring the unit dead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice