1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin N150 Wireless Modem can't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gladeschick, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gladeschick

gladeschick Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I recently had trouble with my Comcast Xfinity internet service and called to have them send a refresh signal. I was up and running again with my ethernet, but my wireless service using a Belkin N150 wireless router hasn't worked since and I am getting pretty frustrated trying to figure this out!

From everything I had read I needed to do a hard reset of the Belkin N150 router and then reconfigure it's settings. Well I did the hard reset and power cycled everything, the modem, computer and router. I then plugged in everything again and connected the modem to the WAN on the router with one cable, and the computer to the LAN on the router with another cable. (I am using a Macbook Pro operating with Mac OSX). Now I cannot connect to the http://192.168.2.1 to configure the settings on the router at all!

I think the problem has something to do with my IP address. I opened the network settings and saw that my IP address is 50.138.25.x while my Subnet Mask is 255.255.254.0 and the router is being listed as 50.138.24.x .... any ideas on how to change this IP address to get my router connected or could it be another problem???

Thank you in advance for responding! I am so close to giving up on this issue and buying a new router!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The modem is connected to a router LAN port, or the router is in AP Mode, or the router is defective. You can easily double check the first and reset the router to factory defaults to make sure the second is false.

3. gladeschick

The modem is definitely connected to a WAN port (the yellow one labeled "modem") on the router. I'm not sure what AP mode would mean? I have tried to reset the router to factory default by holding the reset button and power cycling everything and that's when I had trouble communicating with my router via http://192.168.2.1. I was really thinking there's something messed up with my IP configurations. My subnet mask is 255.255.254.0 and I think it's supposed to be 255.255.255.0, also the router and my computer IP are reading 50.138.xx.xx when it should be 192.168.xx.x, right? I'm not great with computers and networking but everything I've read talks about going into network settings on my Mac and changing the IP addresses.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    AP mode (which Belkin routers generally have) essentially turns it into an ethernet switch and wireless access point with the WAN (Modem) port effectively becoming just another LAN port. After a reset to factory default settings the router will not be in this mode (unless it is defective).

You are getting a (public) IP configuration just as if the router didn't exist and the computer were connected directly to the modem.

What IP configuration do you get connected to the router with the modem NOT connected?

5. gladeschick

When I connect the router to the computer with the modem disconnected from both the router and computer I cannot get an IP configuration. The wireless network doesnt appear in my list of available networks. No lights come on the router at all. There's only a blue light on the router when the modem is connected to it. This router was working and I was able to go in and change settings up until Comcast sent their reset signal, but maybe it is now defective?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds pretty defective (except for that one blue light)! Let it sit unplugged for a few hours and then take another look at it before trashing it.

7. gladeschick

Will do! Thanks for all of your help! Any idea if this would be covered by some kind of warranty with Belkin? I purchased the router in August 2012. And is it typical for a router to not even make it a year?

8. gladeschick

Btw I did just notice that while I only have the router connected (no modem) it is giving me a self-assigned IP for Ethernet that is 169.254.221.177 And subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, I'm not sure if that means anything?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The APIPA (169.254.x.y) means your computer is not getting a response from the router's DHCP server; another indication of failure.

Some (all?) Belkin routers have a lifetime warranty. I think that all have at least a one-year. Check their web site for warranty info and to get an RMA.

No. My guess on "typical" is three to five years, but that doesn't stop any given unit from failing in minutes or from lasting ten years. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!