1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin N300 F9J1002 v1 (01) drops ADSL connection for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Heddy123, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heddy123

Heddy123 Thread Starter

Ugh, I don't like it when I feel like a tech noob.

For several years, my family has run an ADSL connection with Telstra, on one of their stock Thomson TG782T (I think) modem/routers. It had worked mostly fine for most of it's life (with the odd bug and need for a restart). Early January this year, it started to drop the entire system's connection to ADSL (it still considered everything to be connected to it, and there was apparently Internet access, but it was so incredibly slow that we pages and emails just sat on the same loading progress). A simple flick of the switch would re-establish connection, for the time being. As time went on, this became more frequent until it didn't fix the problem at all, so we decided to get a new modem/router.

On the old router, we had about 8-10 devices hooked in, three by Ethernet, 5-7 via wireless. I'll list them, just to be on the safe side.
    By WiFi
    2 laptops - 1 Windows 7, 1 Windows Vista. The Windows 7 one is usually on in the afternoon, the other is used probably once a day for emails.
    1 Desktop PC running Windows Vista. It is rarely used though.
    2 iPad 2s. School makes us have these, and they are usually on.
    2-4 smartphones, depending on the time of day.

And via Ethernet:
    1 iMac - running OSX 10 Lion. This is almost always on, but asleep. I have run Minecraft servers on this in the past with no problems.
    1 Epson Stylus TX550W printer
    And on occasion, 1 Desktop PC running Windows XP

I put the router needing a restart constantly down to old age, because I figured that 2 years of service wasn't terrible for a stock ISP router.
    So, we bought a new modem/router, a Belkin N300 F9J1002 v1 (01). It has worked well for about 3 months. No complaints, except video streaming is a bit slow, even via the Ethernet connection.
    I had occasionally run a Mincraft server on it, but not often.

Then, last Saturday, I set up a Mumble server (like TeamSpeak, but open source) on my iMac so my friends and I could enjoy low latency chat whilst playing League of Legends (on my Windows 7 laptop) I also started playing that on the same day. They had previously used Skype to play, but Skype is a bit draggy on the latency and made everybody lag a bit, and people kept disconnecting randomly on it. Mumble also worked well for those who used it, mostly. LoL has been the first online game I've played other than Minecraft for over a year, since Star Wars: The Old Republic, which I dumped quickly because I decided to dislike MMORPGs.

I don't use an external static IP address, so I signed up for a free dynamic address at www.dnsdynamic.org, and downloaded their Windows GUI to change the IP assigned to my host name.
    This worked for about a week, until the router decided to almost completely stop the ADSL connection during a game. Mum was trying to download emails at the time, and she was most displeased. It took me about 15 minutes to get everything to go again, I tried pulling the power on the router, loading various web pages, which didn't actually happen. I eventually remembered being able to restart the router from the webpage GUI, which I did, and it worked.

I thought I had fixed it. I thought it was either a router bug, possibly a hardware or firmware problem, but Mum was convinced that it was either my Mumble server, or me playing LoL. She has Dad convinced, too. This is not good, because when we bought it, I had told Dad it would do the job (the sales clerk had convinced both Dad and Me that it was the best router brand, and that 300 Mb/s would be fast enough for the rural Internet connection we have here) so he bought it. I hadn't at the time expected to be playing online games in the future, otherwise I'd have bought a dual brand router. I was originally leaning towards a D-Link router.

The problem is, I've seen it lag up a heap and disconnect about 3 times in the past 3 days at inconvenient times. I don't want it to happen continuously and either end up like the last router, or to invite friends over to play online, and then the router DC randomly mid-game. It makes it hard.

I haven't yet tried a firmware update. I might do this tomorrow (5/5/13) and see if we get any good results.

Do you think it is a router issue, or a problem with games. Would a dual-band router have been better?
    Thanks in advance
    Heddy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice