1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin N600 recomended settings for xbox live

Discussion in 'Networking' started by foolioiglesius, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foolioiglesius

foolioiglesius Thread Starter

Recently purchased this Belkin N600 DB N+Router. All is good with the exception of my Xbox live seams to run a little slower. There is some lag, slower loading, and hosting. Didnt have this issue before with a sub par outdated router so im assuming there are options available to me, i hope.

Xbox is connected to router via ethernet so do I still need to open a specific port to prioritize or has it done that already? Just lookin for the fastest possible route I guess

I see there is this intellistream feature in the router settings, it reads,
    Intellistream prioritizes high-bandwidth and low-latency services such as voice, video,and games for the best possible online experience. Its enabled but I have no idea if thats doing anything good or bad

Some say put it in the DMZ then I read this....The DMZ feature allows you to specify one computer on your network to be placed outside of the NAT firewall. This may be necessary if the NAT feature is causing problems with an application such as a game or video conferencing application. Use this feature on a temporary basis.The computer in the DMZ is not protected from hacker attacks.
    Why would I do that? One bitten twice shy when it comes to being hacked

at this point, any recomendations to reduce lag would be a life saver, thanks guys

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you are using Ethernet, then you may have something else going on.

The computer in the DMZ is not protected from hacker attacks.

This is more for computers than game consoles. I have used the DMZ for years with my PS3 and had no issues.

With that said:

What modem do you have?
    Have you done a speed test? If not, check your ISP for one and also do speed tests at www.speedtest.net and www.testmy.net

3. foolioiglesius

Ill take your advice and put it in the DMZ, just to give it a shot. My modem is a cisco through Charter, I get 30 down 4 up. I did both speed test sites. They both gave me 25 down but speedtest was 3.4 up and testmy.net was 1.6 up. Not sure if thats good for no lag or not

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well, gaming traffic is actually not that much... most likely your router is the cause.

Just an FYI, XBOX Live is experiencing intermittent issues at this time.

The reason for 2 speed test sites is to make sure there is consistancy as there can be abnormal readings, like that.

5. foolioiglesius

cool, thanks for your input. One last thought though.....i have a total of 9 devices on 2.4 ghz, actually 8 since the ipad picks up 5ghz. Do you think even with my xbox hardwired to router, the traffic slows gaming a bit. Wouldnt ethernet get priority somehow?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    iPad also picks up 2.4GHz, but as long as you connect to a 5GHz then you should be fine on that respect.

The Cisco modem, what model is it? It will make a difference if it's not a plain gateway modem.

Ethernet does not have any interference issues, so at that point checking for speed, packet loss, or signal degradion will be the first thing to look for. The latter would be with your ISP, but they should also be able to help with the other two.

You stated you are getting 30MB down, 4MB up so it shouldn't be a speed issue.

If everything is fine at that point, then you would want to test your XBOX on a different connnection as you did not indicate a problem with other devices.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice