1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Powerline AV/HD Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ianochaye, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ianochaye

Ianochaye Thread Starter

I have a Belkin Modem/Router, a main PC (which is successfully connected to the router modem by ethernet cable), and four laptops in the house.

As we were having problems with wifi connectivity on the laptops in use upstairs, I purchased 2 Belkin Powerline AV 200mbps units and managed to get them running thus connecting one laptop to the Internet through the ethernet LAN and with the laptop's wifi switched off.

As a result I purchased 2 additional Belkin Powerline Units for two more of the laptops. These are 1000 mbps HD units - and here my problems started.

I have both the HD units plugged in. They are showing blue lights for power and security (we successfully reset the password for all four units as instructed in the manual) - but no light for connection most of the time.

I say "most of the time" because we have at times had an amber light for connectivity showing on the Belkin HD Unit - but at no time have we had any internet connectivity on the laptops using the HD devices - irrespective of the colour of the LED on the Belkin.

We have tried various diagnostic tools on Windows but without success. The laptops do not connect to the internet when we are using the Belkin HD units assigned to them. The laptops CAN connect by wifi but the connection drops off from time to time - which is where we started from.

My understanding is that the HD and AV units are compatible.

Can anyone suggest anything else we should be doing?

Many thanks

Ian

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Welcome to the wonderful world of power-line networking.

There are a couple of possibilities here.

The devices may be stepping on each other using the same RF bandwidth, try running them without the other ones running. The fact that you purchased two different models makes me wonder if they actually are compatible, it sounds like you're trying to use them like a multi-drop network.

From this Belkin FAQ, it doesn't appear these are compatible with each other: http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/845/q/powerline

3. Ianochaye

Ianochaye Thread Starter

Many thanks for that

The Gigabit device spec says:

Standards:
    IEEE 802.3
    IEEE 802.3u
    Homeplug AV Certified
    Coexistence with Homeplug 1.0

The 200 Mbps unit says exactly the same - which is why I believed they are compatible.

I shall try contacting Belkin to see what they say though

Ian

4. JohnWill

They co-exist, but they don't connect to each other, an important difference!

5. Ianochaye

Ianochaye Thread Starter

I can now confirm the units are compatible. One set is F5D4074uk and the other F5D4076uk

I reloaded the firmware on one unit (it already had the most up to date version) and after doing this saw the "bouncing ball" as my laptop tried to connect - but without success.

6. Ianochaye

Ianochaye Thread Starter

Sorry I should have said that the Belkin site confirms both sets are "AV" units.

7. JohnWill

Don't know what to tell you, I have no experience with them.

8. Ianochaye

Ianochaye Thread Starter

Thanks for trying - I will post the Belkin response if and when I get it.

9. JohnWill

Thanks, I'm curious what they'll say. :)

10. Ianochaye

Ianochaye Thread Starter

Hi

Belkin have confirmed that the Powerline units AV200 (F5D4074) and HD1000 (F5D4076) are compatible and will work in the same network

They have concluded that mine must be faulty and are replacing them for me

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Ian

11. JohnWill

Well, I hope they're right, that would be the best option. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice