1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Router cannot see internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bilbo1969, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilbo1969

bilbo1969 Thread Starter

I posted this on someone else's thread earlier, but saw that I was supposed to create my own. Sorry, my bad.

I've been having an issue with a Belkin F5D7231-4 and my Actiontec DSL Modem from Qwest: I can access the router from the computer but the internet connection remains dead. Connecting directly to the modem works just fine. The connection light on the Belkin blinks orange, not the solid green of a strong connection. The prev thread recommeded returning the unit... but I'm already on my second one and it just does not want to see the internet connection.

What are the odds that I got two faulty ones in a row?

Any other suggestions? I went through the CD setup, no internet. Reset it. Went through manual, including resetting IP Address from 192.168.2.1 to 1.1 to match the modem's 1.0.

It's so strange because my Linksys network I'm replacing went together so easy. I just want the added range.

Help me, please. I got such a great deal on the Belkin I don't want to give it up!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if you told us the model of the ActionTec modem, it would help. I suspect that modem is actually a router too. If it's a plain DSL modem, are you configuring the router for PPPoE and entering your account name/password on the WAN configuration page?

3. bilbo1969

bilbo1969 Thread Starter

The modem is an Actiontec R1524su modem/router. According to my ISP, I should be setting for dynamic connection type and PPoA, not E. Thanks for your quick reply.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you still have the linksys router? If so, compare the WAN or Internet settings between that and your Belkin to see if there is a difference.

5. JohnWill

Since the Belkin is connecting to another router, the factory defaults settings should allow it to connect. Note that you'll have an interesting time forwarding ports if you plan on running any software that has incoming ports, since you'll have two routers in series. :)

6. bilbo1969

bilbo1969 Thread Starter

Thanks again for the replies... I compared the settings between the Linksys and the Belkin and everything that made any difference was the same. I agree, JohnWill, that the Belkin should just hook up and let me on without too much fuss. The only thing I see that I had to change was the IP address for the Belkin to match the subset on the Actiontec.

I spent hours on line with the Tech guy from Belkin and more with my ISP, and neither could get me anywhere.

You need to know anything else? I'll be happy to oblige.

7. JohnWill

Actually, I'm not sure why you're changing the IP address of the Belkin. If you're connecting it via the WAN port, DHCP should be enabled on the WAN side. The IP addresses on the LAN side don't have any connection to what's on the other side of the NAT layer.

I think setting a manual IP address for the WAN section will not be the way to go here, once again I recommend starting from a reset to factory defaults, and then we can try to diagnose what's happening from there.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I agree with JohnWill to do the reset to factory settings.

If that doesn't work please include an IPCONFIG /ALL from your computer while it's connected directly to the modem, and the Internet Settings from your router. In both you should x-out the first number of public IP addresses as I did in my example below.

For the ipconfig, Start - run - cmd - OK; type ipconfig /all > c:\results.txt
    Then (using Notepad to view it) copy the contents of c:\results.txt into your post.

Your router display is probably similar to my Belkin F5D7230-4; without even logging in my router's home page shows a section:

Internet Settings
    WAN MAC address
    00:07:e9:a8:97:06
    Connection Type
    Dynamic
    Subnet mask
    Wan IP
    xxx.215.125.92
    Default gateway
    xxx.215.120.1
    DNS Address
    xxx.127.203.135

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/391911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice