1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin router random disconnects and other problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MikeB_570, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeB_570

MikeB_570 Thread Starter

Yay, so I have to retype all of this because being on/off/on/off the internet apparently logged me out and when I finally clicked everything that I wrote was lost. So here we go again...Unfortunately I am so frustrated that this description of my problem will not be as precise as my first one. Started with my girlfriends router burning plastic and being told by the Comcast guy its a fire hazard and she shouldn't use it. We buy a Belkin Basic F7D1301 v1 router from Best Buy, supposedly easy to hook up. Disc set up does not work, tells us to call the number. I access the router by typing in 'router' in the browser. (I've done a few other routers and they were all accessible by typing 191.168.1.1 or similar in the browser). Using any sort of security does not allow my Vista laptop to connect. It results in a "Local only" connection. Xp laptop is able to connect using security. Both laptops are able to connect without security. What results is both computers being connected for about 30 minutes, then both being kicked off and the only light on the router changing from green to orange. A power cycle will allow for about another 30 minutes until it happens again. I read some things about a DHCP lease. I tried turning off 'dhcp server' i believe. I'm pretty sure the laptop that I set it up on stayed connected all night, and the router light stayed green, but no other devices were able to connect. (I'm not entirely sure if that's true since I've tried so many things). I tried changing the channel from Auto to 10, and it lasted about 90 minutes before once again kicking everyone off and the light turning orange. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, sorry if this seems rushed but I've been messing around for hours with this thing and I'm extremely frustrated that everything that I typed before disappeared on me. EDIT: Grrr and this was formatted but somehow its not now.... Edit 2:,I just took the time to format it again and it turned into a wall of text AGAIN, i'm sorry.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may want to type into notepad and then just copy and paste here - that way a disconnection will not make any difference
    to all your writing , I know how frustrating that can be

lets separate the issues
    1) you have one PC which will not connect to the wireless security , but will when no security is on the router
    2) The internet intermittently disconnects all PCs from the router

lets start with 2) and get a solid connection with NO wireless security

so when the router disconnects - whats the name of the light turns from green to orange ?

would you do the following ipconfig /all and ping tests (instrutions below ) when its working and then do the same tests again when it disconnects - save the results and post back when you are reconnected

also post back xirrus - instructions below

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {Ping Tests}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Then run the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest firmware update; then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure.

Do ethernet connected computers lose connection, or just the wireless ones?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice