1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

belkin router setup, MAC id causin problem.. :(

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ajsmart, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajsmart

ajsmart Thread Starter

hello everyone
    here goes....

i have belkin wlan router g plus mimo f5d9230 ver. 5

i have a laptop which has been configured to connect to my isp by a dial up but i dont have a modem of any sort all i recieve is the cat 5 cable @ my home i plug it in dial the connection and the internet is working :)

my problem..

i want to use this router so i can use this same connection over 2 computers at the same time!!

am i talking sense ?? i mean is this possible ???:confused:

its a pppoe connection according my tech support guy of the isp
    and yes 1 more thing the lapptop i plug in the cable i recieve frm the isp , its MAC id has been registered with isp but i have smthin like a clone mac id setting in my router

P.S.-i dont know the technical part of it but i keep on trying by trial and error method

i tried by connectin the router via the cable put up my id and pass in the pppoe section provided in router setup but it wont work :(

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

The router will not work on a dial-up connection.

Who is your ISP?
    Are you certain it is a dial-up connection?

3. xHeero

xHeero

could try ICS

4. ajsmart

ajsmart Thread Starter

actually i m not sure if its a dial up coz there is no certain number tht is being diallled i think its just a way of authenticating the user..

the name of the isp is 5net m located @ mumbai :)

what is ICS ??

5. ajsmart

ajsmart Thread Starter

ok now here is the deal

i called the isp they sent the person to setup the router but he could not do anything

according to him my router is having a problem but actually i do use it with a adsl modem all the time

this another connection with which i am trying to setup the router whose support person came today could not do it

he says "the network uses the pppoe connection for authentication"

problem is when i input the id and pass in the pppoe in the router and apply changes it still doesnt connect even when the mac id has been reset by the isp .. the router must actually just dial on its own and the isp would get the router mac id registered and the net should get on, ideally speaking, but thts not happening ???????:mad:

what must be the problem?? is there any other way outta this??

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/851766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice