1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Router Wireless Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by archiondus, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. archiondus

archiondus Thread Starter

Hi, i have a Belkin Wireless G router.

To be specific i have the F5D7230-4 Wireless G Router, v7000. I am currently using firmware 9.01.07, and was on .10 earlier however in the middle of trying to troubleshoot problems, i reverted to .07 to test if the latest firmware was the problem. Since both firmware still have the problem, i simply haven't re-updated.

My problem is this: All wired devices work perfectly, under any conditions, the wireless.. not so much. Whenever the wireless demands a certain amount of bandwidth, i cannot say for certain as it is honestly random. Maybe its 50Kb/s or 1Mb/s it's very temperamental. I have to be very lax and almost treat my wireless connection as if its 56k and not expect results. :mad: It doesn't matter what I'm downloading or where, could be a game update, or simply trying to buffer a youtube video. Once it hits this random number it kills it.

When the wireless 'kills' itself, it remains broadcasting and connected however there is no internet access. If you try to disconnect and reconnect, you are completely unable to access it until you reset the router. Reseting does allow you to reconnect and use the internet until the problem occurs again.

Things i have tried:
    -Changing firmware (There is no other firmware available on Belkin website and i haven't really searched hard for older)
    -Going from WPA to WEP to Mac filtering to nothing at all.
    -Factory Default
    -Hard reset using the routers reset button

Like i said, the 3 devices that are wired have never suffered any problems. I have lost my wireless connection from the wired computers use (although haven't done actual testing on it, but i believe i have). The wireless is completely stable for days as long as i do nothing more than say Facebook and Emails. The problem occurs on my wireless computer, Ipod, and 3 android devices. All of which lose wireless connection completely when it happens.

This is an old router, however i just got home from school for a while and I'm stuck on wireless until i find a 50 foot Ethernet cord to run throughout the house. Does anyone have any idea's or is this router simply dieing and needs to be replaced?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm guessing that the router is telling you that it is dying, but check for wireless interference ...

If your computer runs Windows please attach screenshots of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector

a. For a "good" connection;

b. For when the problem has occurred, but before you fix it;

c. Same as (b) but for a location a few feet from the router (it your computer is a laptop).

3. archiondus

archiondus Thread Starter

There is no channel interference. Luckily I am the only one in the area using channel 1. I use 11 for my AndroidTether for if im too lazy to reset the router, cuz well honestly atm 3G is more reliable and faster than my cable..

During these test the tether was disabled if any questions on that. I didn't upload multiple as the screenshots never changed.

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK. :) You'd be surprised how many people have no clue what that is.

That signal is not very strong--right in the range where you can connect but may not get good speeds and may disconnect from time to time. Belkin settled (very cheaply IMO) a class action lawsuit alleging that router (earlier versions) had a weak signal.

Can't guarantee anything but chances are you will be much happier with the wireless with a new router, especially an 'N'.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice