1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Router - wireless works but wired doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by d0llparts, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d0llparts

d0llparts Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm trying to set up a wireless network for my parents. I have a Belkin Play N600 router (model F7D8302) that I'm trying to hook up to an Acer desktop running Vista. The modem is a Siemens Speedstream 4100. I have a cable going from the ethernet port of the modem to the modem port on the router. The pc is connected to one of the other four ports in the router. The wireless works fine, but I can't get the wired connection on the desktop working. The Internet light on the modem is not on, but the modem works fine when connected directly to the pc. I've tried power cycling and resetting everything, but it's still not working. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show the following for a desktop and also for a wireless connection (if there is a Windows computer with wireless capability) ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

ping 192.168.2.1

ping 8.8.8.8

ping yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. d0llparts

d0llparts Thread Starter

Hi, it seems that now the wireless connection isn't working either, even though I had connected to it from my iPhone last night. Here are the results from the ipconfig on the desktop:
    And here are the results from the laptop that we're trying to connect wirelessly (Acer Aspire 5349 running Windows 7):

As I mentioned before, I have the router connected to the modem via the ethernet ports and the computer connected to the router via one of the wired connection ports. The modem works fine as I have it connected directly to the computer now so I could post this. Thanks for the assistance.

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

What is the ipconfig /all for the computer connected directly to the modem? Could be IP address conflict.

5. d0llparts

d0llparts Thread Starter

When the router is hooked up, the computer is not connected directly to the modem but to the router. This is the ipconfig /all for the computer when it is connected directly to the modem and the router is disconnected:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have the Speedstream bridged (to act as a modem only). Do you remember to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) it when switching the device connected to it? Do you have the Belkin's WAN (Internet) properly configured--probably PPPoE and account/password?

7. d0llparts

d0llparts Thread Starter

I have power cycled the modem. I went to 192.168.2.1 and checked the settings - it is by PPPoE and the username and password have been entered, everything's been reset and I'm still not able to connect through the wired or wireless connections. I've never had this much trouble with a router so I'm not sure what else to try.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A small possibility that the ISP is tracking the device connected to the Speedstream, so clone the computer's ethernet MAC Address to the router's WAN.

What is the router's WAN status showing? Does it have a good IP configuration?

9. d0llparts

d0llparts Thread Starter

I did try cloning the MAC address, but that didn't seem to help. I ended up calling customer support for the router, and the guy told me that I would have to call my ISP about getting a dynamic IP address. I went into the router setup and played around with the settings for the WAN vs. dynamic IP and that fixed my problem! I apologize that I can't remember exactly what I made the settings, and I'm not at my parents' house anymore to check. Thanks for all your help.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sooner or later the router will need to be reset to factory defaults and reconfigured, so if you haven't already done so I suggest that you make note of the important settings that you may not remember. You can tape them to the bottom or back of the router.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice