1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Router won't let my Dell PC open email

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ancestorhunter, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ancestorhunter

Ancestorhunter Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm brand new to this site. Just read about your site in my AARP newspaper, so that should tell you I'm 60+.
    My son, a high school teacher, has set up all the desktops I've ever had and the current laptop, as well as the Belkin router. My desktop is Dell dimension E521, purchased May, 2007. The operating system is Windows Vista home premium. My laptop, which is what I'm using to send this message, is a Dell, purchased in 2013, with Windows 8.1 operating system. Up until about 3 weeks ago, I was able to access my email and surf the web from the desktop. The router is Belkin, purchased right after I got the laptop, and has worked fine until 3 weeks ago. I can access everything with no problem from the laptop, but the desktop and the router now fight each other. Just tried to get on so that I could tell you what happens. I click my browser icon, Mozilla Firefox, and the home screen comes up fine. I then click to sign in to email and the router light goes from blue to orange and after about a minute, I get a message "server not found". I close that window and the router light returns to blue. My granddaughters are not happy either because I let them use the desktop to play their games and access sites such as funbrain. Frustration level now runs deep as I'm seriously considering getting another router. My house is a 1-story ranch. ISP is AT&T, DSL with a Westell 2100 wired modem. Your help will be greatly appreciated by this frustrated G-Mom! Thank you.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    goto control panel
    internet options
    and look at connection

anything in the "dialup and private settings" box

click on LAN
    and see if a Proxy is set - see below

How is the PC connected to the router - by cable, by wireless or are you using powerlines, connected via the house electrical system ?

what happens if you open say google.com or bbc.co.uk pages ?
    is it any webpage that is opened after the homepage ?
    what is your homepage ?
    what happens if you click on a link from the homepage OR just do a refresh of the homepage
    Is the homepage updating at all ?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove any proxy settings
    Check your browser's settings, remove or uncheck any proxy settings if found

http://www.plus.net/support/software/browsers/proxies.shtml
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5512742_remove-proxy-server.html

Google Chrome
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96815?hl=en-GB
    This will open the Internet Explorer Properties dialogue (Windows) or the Network dialogue (Mac) where you can adjust your network settings

Firefox
    Tools>Options>Advanced>Network Tab>connections Settings... button>
    Newer release version see here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...nection-problem#w_firefox-connection-settings
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Ancestorhunter

Ancestorhunter Thread Starter

I tried your suggestions and here are my results:
    Box for dialup and private settings-empty.
    LAN systems>proxy server-nothing is checked.
    Router light goes orange; but I was able to follow thru on the next steps.
    Removed radio button for "use system proxy settings".
    Checked radio button for "no proxy".

Message then appeared "server not found". Firefox cannot find the server".
    Shut down computer via Microsoft. Router light now blue.
    Turned everything off (router, modem-they're all plugged in to 1 strip).
    Waited about 30 seconds, turned it all back on via the toggle switch on strip.
    Router light steady blue. Turned on hard drive.
    Clicked Mozilla Firefox icon to open it.
    Same message returned "server not found, etc. Orange light on router.
    Selected "shut down" and as the system says "shutting down" the router light returns to a steady blue.

I normally turn everything off at night after signing out/off.

Lastly, as info, if this helps, there's a yellow cable and a smaller black one that are plugged into the router and connect to the Westelll modem.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice