1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BELKIN Wifi card problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by purple170503, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. purple170503

purple170503 Thread Starter

Hi, hope you can help a new guy here! I am running win xp home with sky broadband. until my little lad broke it i had a usb dongle which worked fine. to free up my only two usb ports i saw a belkin f5d7011 wifi card so bought that.

I have installed it but it won't pick up any wireless networks. Can anyone please help? thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and post a screen shot of the main page here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

I'd like to see this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. purple170503

Hi, thanks vewry much for the help, I have had a go but the download you suggested installs but when I try and runit returns a windows message that a problem has been encountered and needs to close. I've uninstalled/ reinstalled 3 times but no joy.

The other bits I have been able to do tho;

1. 1394 Net adaptor #2, Belkin 802.11g Network adaptor & Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC

2. No

3. No

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Laptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-86-23-B1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-92-DB-40

Hope this helps a bit, I will try and get that program working again later.

4. purple170503

Hi sorry but can onyone tell me how to get hold of JohnWill? I dont seem to be able to PM at the moe, guessing its cos Im a newbee. I really need to get my problem sorted,thanks

5. JohnWill

Does it connect using a wired connection?

6. purple170503

hi yes it does

7. JohnWill

Have you removed all the stored wireless network profiles and try to connect? How about removing all encryption and MAC filtering from the router and see if it'll connect that way. I'm assuming you are SURE the wireless network is working?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver from Belkin's web site for the new card. The fact that you cannot detect wireless networks (assuming at least one is there for the detecting) plus that the Xirrus application gets shut down so quickly makes me think that the driver or the card is bad.

After you check out the driver if the problem remains can you test the card in another laptop?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice