1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless adapter - can connect to the adapter, but not the internet!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mutteringrose, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mutteringrose

mutteringrose Thread Starter

Hello, this problem has really confuzzled :confused: me. I have just bought a new wireless USB adapter, ran it through the setup entered the password etc. Fine. Nicely connects to the router everytime (well ok most the time). But it cant seem to find the internet, which i know is there because my house mate has no problems with it. I've read quite a few complaints about this adapter. Is it worth just returning it and trying a different one? Or does anyone have any ideas?

It finds the submask, ip address, sets a channel automatically. One thing i noticed though is it doesnt create a gateway. (i asume cos i cant find the net). I did have internet before but they were wired. I've since then disabled the normal ethernet adapter and disabled the old connections. So i dont think theres anything conflicting.

Please help?!!

Thank you in advance i really appreciate it.:eek:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm going to guess that the IP address that it finds is 169.254.x.x and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, right? It's really NOT connecting to the router, which is why you don't have a Default Gateway or DNS servers.

You don't have to disable the wired interface to connect wirelessly, there's no conflict.

I'd suggest you first disable the encryption and see if it connects. If it does, then you need to make sure you enter matching passwords for the encryption on each end. Note that for WEP you should ONLY use the HEX password, do not use the passcode option.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
    Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
    Make/model of the router (if any).
    Connection type, wired, wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2.

3. mutteringrose

mutteringrose Thread Starter

I thought i'd add one more thing before i go home to get the info (i'm on the work computer at the moment). When entering the password i have 3 options that i can enter, hex, phrase and something else - pin or something. The code i've been given only fits in the Phrase. When i try to put it in hex it stops me at 10 digits - my passcode is about 14 characters and numbers long. And the operating system is win 2000 sp4, router btvoyager2500, belkin wireless adapter F5D7050UK 54G.

I'll have to send the rest of the info tomorrow morning.

Thank you in advance. :)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have to select the HEX code option in the router. The "code" you have is probably the ASCII passcode, which doesn't always translate correctly between equipment brands.

This is only for WEP, WPA/WPA2 passcodes work fine across brands.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/619846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice