1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless and D-Link Wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Irksome, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Irksome

Irksome Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am attempting to set up a wireless netowrk here, so I can use my laptop from downstairs. I have an NTL cable modem, which is connected directly to a D-Link DI-604 wired router. I have here a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router. I have connected the wireless router to port 4 in my wired router. The power / WAN / WLAN lights on the wireless have come on, but my laptop cannot detect it. I don't think the problem lies with the laptop, because it has picked up other wireless networks before.

I have tried pinging it, with no reply. I have also tried to connect a network cable from the woreless to the laptop, but still no luck.

Any advice on what I could do here would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the Belkin to factory default settings. The default settings include a LAN IP of 192.168.2.1, Dhcp server enabled, and the wireless signal enabled on channel 11 (I forget the default SSID). So then you should be able to connect wired or wireless and obtain an IP configuration dynamically.

Since you are having problems I'd suggest doing the above w/o connecting it to the other router. You should be able to ping 192.168.2.1 and access that address via browser.

3. Irksome

Irksome Thread Starter

OK I've done that, and now it says I've connected to the wireless router with excellent signal quality.

I still, however, cannot access the internet, and I cannot access the config panel at 192.168.2.1.

I get no reply from any of the pings I have done either. :(

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... connected to the wireless router with excellent signal quality"

Unfortuneately all that means is that the wireless adapter is on the same channel as the router. :(

If you can't ping the router, you are not communicating with it.

Do you have a 3rd party firewall blocking LAN access? If so, you need to uninstall it or properly configure it.

5. Irksome

Irksome Thread Starter

I have ZoneAlarm firewall installed, but I have disabled it. I'll try uninstalling it and post back here with the results.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice