1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless cannot connect to AOL

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LP9SC, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LP9SC

LP9SC Thread Starter

It started when I could not access 192.168.2.1 because I didn't know the password so I tried to find the password to no avail so I searched on a few forums and belkins support to find a way to reset it or something and I found out that I had to reset it from the little button on my wireless router so I did. Then I tried connecting to AOL again but it will not connect, the router does work but AOL does not recognise it.
    I've switched to my other modem until this problem gets fixed (hopefully) (this other one is not wireless) and it works with AOL
    Few bits of info
    I tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    youo have set the router back to factory settings
    so now you need to set it up again
    you need to put your aol username and password into the router - so it logs onto aol

3. LP9SC

LP9SC Thread Starter

Its been a long time since I installed it x.x
    How do I do that? x.x

If your talking about going to http://192.168.2.1 that wont work because I cannot connect to it =\
    I cannot connect to AOL by my wireless router which HAD the default gateway 192.168.2.1 (but is now blank) so I would be able to connect to that (but now can't)
    But I am using my ADSL modem right now because I cannot use the wireless one and this one uses a different connection but does connect to AOL (it was my old modem)
    I really need my wireless one working :[

If I was able to connect to my wireless one again I'd be able to change the gateway to 192.168.2.1 and be able to connect to http://192.168.2.1 but even if I change that now I still cannot connect to AOL with that connection

This is the IPCONFIG for my wireless connection
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
    Connection-specific DNS suffix: Belkin
    IP Address: 192.168.2.2 (Some how that has changed from default?) =\ Might be causing problem
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: (Not show/left blank)

This is the IPCONFIG for my ADSL modem connection (the one im using now)
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2
    Connection-specific DNS suffix: (Not shown/left blank)
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: (Not show/left blank)
    (Not sure why it shows like that lol I messed with it but still can connect, this connection doesn't really matter when I get my wireless back up)

I'm not a computer wizard, I've just been trying things out that may seem to work to me x.x I've ran out of ideas and places to look so I posted this to get some real time help.

Your right that I restored factory settings because I didn't know what the password is and I looked at something on the web that said to reset modem for factory settings or something

I just read this

I kinda did that but I just put a pin in for about 15 seconds, it was connected at the time... does that matter? o.o
    But it looks like it worked because the ip is that.. well close.. one off, unless its suppose to be 192.168.2.2? x.x

Please explain what you mean in detail and give tutorial on how to do it, Thanks for your help :]

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK so the model of the belkin wireless router would help

When you are using your modem - you have to enter a AOL username and password to get on the NET correct

then when you connect the belkin up- with a cable NOT WIRELESS
    you will need to log on using the default 192.x.x.x - that is the factory setting one = it will be in the manual

and then set up the connection

5. LP9SC

LP9SC Thread Starter

Which modem are you talking about? The wireless one or the wired one?
    The wireless one which is having trouble cannot connect to aol
    I enter my username and password like I would normally do then the 7 steps on connecting stops at 1

"then when you connect the belkin up- with a cable NOT WIRELESS"
    Err? I use cables, the other computer that connects to it connects through my computer to the internet (so the router is connected to my computer and radio signals go to the other computer which is the wireless part) is that what you mean? Sorry I'm not very good with this x.x

"you will need to log on using the default 192.x.x.x - that is the factory setting one = it will be in the manual"
    I know that part but with my wired connection It will not connect to that (because its not the right modem probably) and I would connect to that site with my wireless modem if I could connect to AOL with it

model # F507633-4 (I think the 0 is a D) x.x

Just confirmed that the Setup utility site thing is http://192.168.2.1

6. LP9SC

LP9SC Thread Starter

Oh and if this helps I'm using Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC to connect (with my wireless)

7. LP9SC

LP9SC Thread Starter

Oh great news
    I was just able to connect to http://192.168.2.1 using firefox instead of the aol window while using my wired modem

But when I clicked login then clicked confirm for my default blank password it just came up with a screen saying
    404 Not Found
    File not found.

So I'm guessing firefox is just able to access the page but not any content? =\

Oh But I am able to modify things without the login screen apearing??? o.o

Sorry, I keep forgetting the edit key

8. The Hound

The Hound

Let's clear up a few things.

Hardware:
    You have an ADSL modem (wired).
    You have a Belkin Router (wired and wireless).
    You have a laptop which has a wired ethernet connection which will work if you connect it directly to the ADSL modem.
    Your laptop has a wireless network adapter, but you can't get it to connect to your Belkin Router.

Am I right so far? And is there also a desktop computer in the picture?

9. LP9SC

LP9SC Thread Starter

You have an ADSL modem (wired). correct
    You have a Belkin Router (wired and wireless). correct (wired to my computer, wireless for my other)

You have a laptop which has a wired ethernet connection which will work if you connect it directly to the ADSL modem. wrong, its a windows desktop computer

Ok I'll explain

I have 1 computer down stairs that is connected to a belkin wireless router with wires
    I have 1 computer up stairs that connects to the router throgh radiowaves (wireless)
    I cannot connect to AOL (ISP) through my downstairs computer with the router but I can with my upstairs one
    I can connect to AOL (ISP) through my downstairs computer with my other modem which is not wireless and is not in any way related to my upstairs computer

So if I want to use my upstairs computer I have to use my wireless connection
    If I want to use my downstairs computer I have to use my other modem which is not wireless

This problem is not related to my modem which is not wireless in anyway as I'm just using this one while my wireless router is not working

--The problem was that when I reset my wireless router to factory settings I was unable to connect to AOL

-That problem was because my wireless router is not configured with AOL yet as I restarted it.

-Problem can be fixed by going to http://192.168.2.1 and configuring it

-Problem with that is that I could not connect to that site with either modem

-I found out that I could connect to it with firefox instead of using AOL with my modem which is not wireless (cannot connect to internet at all from downstairs computer with wireless router)

-Problem now is that I'm not sure what I should do to configure my router with aol using that site x.x I'm not too good with computers, I did it before but that was a long time ago lol
    I'm just going to try things for now until someone can answer this problem

Thanks for your help.

By the way
    Why I restored factory settings in the first place:
    I wanted my password to that 192.168.2.1 site to configure it for using my DS WIFI xd

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    oK lets just focus on the belkin wireless router - NOTHING ELSE Connected - Just the bekin

the downstairs PC is connect via a cable TO THE BELKIN- and does NOT work
    the upstairs PC is connected by wireless TO THE BELKIN and works fine

correct

11. LP9SC

LP9SC Thread Starter

Yep thats basically it

Do you think I could have accidentally uninstalled it some how? =\ Because thats what my brother said and AOL does seem to notice that because it finds no modems. My brother has the instal disk and said he'll pop around some time later in the day

I tried configuring http://192.168.2.1 but that didn't seem to affect anything, I'm guessing it is the install CD so if you havn't got any ideas I'm going to just wait for my brother to come here
    Thanks for your help anyway

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice