1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless Card - Disconnecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jonrjon, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonrjon

jonrjon Thread Starter

Hello,

I am upgrading my pc using some parts from a mates pc he no longer needs. I have upgraded in order to play Rainbow 6 Vegas.

The MB is a Gigabyte GA-8SQ800 with an Intel P4 3.06Gz HT chip. Ever since using this MB the behaviour of the wireles network card has become eractic. The card is a Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card (F5D7000).

Once booted all appear well. The belkin icon in the task bar is green and shows the connection to the router. After a few hours it drops the connection (icon turning red) and will not reconnect. I have used my laptop to verify that it is not the router. I cannot get the belkin wireless utility (it will not let you use the windows one) to even see the router to reconnect.

When I fitted the new MoBo I installed a fesh copy of XP (with SP2) to try and avoid any such issues.

If I reboot the machine it sometimes reconnects, but last night it would not. The belkin icon turned green for about 5 secs and then went red.

Device manager in windows seems to think the card is working properly.

I have had it suggested to me that there may be an 'interupt' issue, but not really sure what that means or what to do about it. Is this related to the IRQ in the BIOS?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon

2. gurutech

gurutech

What version of Windows do you have? If you have XP SP2, then disable the Belkin wireless utility and service. Use the WZC client that is included in SP2. If you have XP SP1 or XP, then disable the WZC utility/service and use the Belkin utility.

Having both running at the same time can cause connection issues.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the card or pci slot could be bad.

4. jonrjon

jonrjon Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Disabling the Belkin Utility appears to have solved the problem!!

I also swapped the pci location.

Thank you!

Jon

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice