1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin wireless card doesn't detect network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dugj56, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dugj56

dugj56 Thread Starter

Hi, here is an e-mail I sent to Belkin tech support ... but I haven't heard back so I thought I'd try here. Can anyone help me?

Hi, I'm trying to set up a Belkin F5D6020 ver2 wireless adapter on my IBM 233mhz laptop running WIN98se. I want to connect to my existing wired network. I have a cable modem connected to my Belkin F5D6231-4 router. I have 2 PCs connected to the router via ethernet cable. The wired part of the network is working beautifully. All wired PCs can talk to each other. When I have my wired network adapter installed on the laptop, it works great too.

I installed the installation software on the laptop using the EASY option. I plug in the adapter card when prompted and Windows installs the drivers. My computer doesn’t ask me to restart so I restart manually. The monitor utility comes up and, after a minute, a warning message displays ‘The access point you are attempting to access does not appear to exist. Please select the new one’. The prompts on the utility screen read:

Profile name: Default
    Operating mode: infrastructure
    Channel = 3 (greyed out)
    SSID = ANY
    Tx Rate = Auto
    MAC address = 00-30-BD-D2-BF-06
    status = scanning

There is no signal strength or link quality. I click on the site survey tab and there is nothing listed. I click rescan and still nothing. The green link LED on the card is flashing. The WLAN light on the router is solid green.

On my PC web browser I go to http://192.168.2.1/ to access the router set up utility.
    Version Info
    Firmware Version v2.00.002
    Boot Version v0.00.010
    Hardware 01
    Serial No. A338084514
    LAN Settings
    LAN/WLAN MAC 00-30-BD-C5-24-04
    IP address 192.168.2.1
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server Enabled

Internet Settings
    WAN MAC address 00-30-BD-C5-24-05
    Connection Type DYNAMIC
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Wan IP 68.233.72.35
    Default gateway 68.233.72.1
    DNS Address 68.168.96.5
    Features
    NAT Enabled
    Firewall Settings Enabled
    SSID WLAN
    Encryption Disable

On the wireless tab, Channel and SSID. Wireless channel is 3 (it was defaulted to 11, I changed it to match the wireless card), SSID = WLAN, broadcast SSID is checked. Under the encryption tab, WEP mode is disabled.

Can you please tell me why the laptop does not detect the network? Thanks.

2. StillRushn

StillRushn

I read a lot of reviews on the Belkin F5D6231-4 router. A few said it was a good product for the price many others had many different issues with it from quick death, short range, one said good wireless access point but bad wired router. Could be bad quality control. Can you ping the loopback on the laptop? 127.0.0.1. Have you tried to manually set the IP on the laptop? I haven't used wireless equipment so just giving suggestions.

3. jtatsud

jtatsud

You may have already done this, but just in case...

Have you downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the router?

Same goes for the drivers and wireless management software for the wireless adapter?

You would think that Belkin hardware would work together without having to do this, but most wireless equipment works MUCH better with the newest firmware, drivers, etc.

Also, do you have all the latest Windows 98SE updates?

4. dugj56

dugj56 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies:

Stillrushn: I always thought Belkin had a good name ... until now. But I haven't proved the they are at fault and I'm still betting I'm missing something. I'm not sure how to ping the loopback or set up the IP manually. Can you give me some hints. Thanks.

jtatsud: I downloaded and installed the latest installation software from the Belkin site. Did that include the latest firmware and drivers, I don't know. But I'll look again tonight. I'll also run Windows update just to see if that's the issue. Thanks.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

5. jtatsud

jtatsud

These are pretty basic, but just in case...

Do you have a firewall and/or antivirus running on your laptop? If so, disable these before trying the wireless connection.

You might try checking your network settings. Go to Control Panel ==>> Network Folder. Does the wireless adapter appear on the list of network items? Is there a TCP/IP line associated with the adapter? Click on the properties for the Belkin wireless adapter. Is the Binding set to the TCP/IP line associated with the adapter?

Go to Control Panel ==> System. Click on the Device Manager tab. Find the Belkin wireless adapter under Network adapters and highlight this adapter. Click on properties. Does the Device status list the adapter as working properly?

If all this is correct, you might try removing the settings for the wired adapter. To do this go back to the Network folder, highlight the adapter, and click remove. Windows 98SE has limited resources in respect to interrupts so your wired adapter drivers may be interfering with your wireless adapter drivers. (You may eventually have to deinstall the wired adapter drivers, but try this for now.)

Good luck
    :)

6. dugj56

dugj56 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Everything that I've heard and read says wireless is a piece of cake. Some cake... Is this a normal experience with wireless or is it just me?

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I use a Belkin F5D7010 PCMCIA card and a Belkin Airpoint.

It really was as simple as they suggest. Setting up the Airpoint took a few minutes with the supplied software, and same for the PC.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/202323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice