1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless G Router- possible DNS issues?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by InsaneShadow, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InsaneShadow

InsaneShadow Thread Starter

Hi, I've got a Belkin Wireless G router, although I'm not using the wireless part of it, tied into a wireless antenna (it's an... interesting... "hi speed" network)

My problem is that web pages (and other things requiring URL-type lookups) will sometimes/often (seems to vary wildly) fail to load. I assume it's something to do with DNS, because if I'm in the middle of an internet based game like World of Warcraft, there is no issues, but if it's "doing it's thing" when I'm trying to first log in, it'll tell me it can't find the login server or somesuch. The same happens with internet-based radio (streaming through Winamp) although the bookmarks I have that seem to have numeric IP addressess instead of someradiostation.com/stationname or whatever, seem to be unaffected.

The cycle appears to be, web works fine, then fails to load (immediatly noticable, pages just pop up "can't find whatever"), then after a bit (10-20 seconds of attempting to reload every few seconds) it'll go into "searching" mode where it doesn't fail to load immediatly, it just hangs out for 10-20 seconds waiting, then things will start loading again like nothing happened. I can be online in World of Warcraft during this time and notice nothing apparently different ingame.

The router firmware is up to date, my ISP requires static IPs which I have set, along with the DNS servers (although I really should check with them to make sure I have the right ones entered...)

Any ideas? Does it just sound like I have a funky DNS server? Or is this possibly some conflict with the router itself?

Thanks for your help :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's try replacing your DNS server. Follow the instructions at OpenDNS for Windows and configure to use OpenDNS for your DNS server. See if that makes a difference.

3. InsaneShadow

Updated. So far so good, although that doesn't mean much. I'll post again in a day or two with a yes/no.

4. JohnWill

It that's the case, your DNS servers are probably specified incorrectly, or the ISP supplied DNS servers are having some sort of problem, this is not uncommon.

5. InsaneShadow

Yeah, now that I think about it I didn't have DNS info with the static IP info, I'm really not sure WHERE I got my DNS entries from. And 2 days later, so far so good (although I wasn't on at all yesterday). Thanks again, that seems to have solved this problem!

6. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/849845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice