1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

belkin wireless g router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dbobber, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbobber

dbobber Thread Starter

I recently bought a belkin wireless g router, model F5D7230-4. How clever was I buying it on ebay for half the retail price! Step one was easy enough and I loaded the driver. Step two said I was to connect my existing modem to the router. My modem has a USB connector and the router has an ethernet port. How the hell do I connect USB to ethernet?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Ignore the previous advice, that won't work. You will NOT be able to use a USB-only modem with a standard broadband router, you MUST have an Ethernet output. The USB to Ethernet adapter is only useful for connecting Ethernet to a USB port on a computer, it requires a driver that isn't available in the modem.

3. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Im sorry John
    Deleted my post
    I had the same problem a while back and nearly made the mistake then of buying an adapter ..

Went for a wireless router instead

4. JohnWill

No problem. :)

5. dbobber

dbobber Thread Starter

So basically what you're telling me is that I'm stuffed and have wasted my money?

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Has your pc an internal modem ?? Ethernet card

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your modem is USB only (some also have ethernet) and is ISP owned ask them if you can exchange it for an ethernet connected one. Otherwise you need a modem with ethernet connection or exchange your new router for an appropriate modem/router combo.

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I had a speedtouch modem from Orange it broke
    I replaced it with a wireless router
    I still connected as i had an ethernet card

9. dbobber

dbobber Thread Starter

My modem is a Speetouch that I got from Orange but I'm no longer with them and no , my pc does'nt have an internal modem. Just an infernal one!

10. dbobber

dbobber Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys but I reckon I'll just have to bite the bullet, chalk this one down to experience, take it on the chin and other similar cliches and go out and buy a modem/router which is what I should have done before.

11. JohnWill

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we don't make the news, we just report it. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice