1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless N+ Adaptor, only 54mbps?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MxGaza28, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MxGaza28

MxGaza28 Thread Starter

I currently have a Belkin Wireless N router and have been using the standard wireless card in my laptop to connect to it which only supports wireless G, so I just purchased a Belkin N+ wireless adaptor and set it up but it only shows 54mbps when wireless N should be 300mbps? Are wireless N and N+ two different things? Ive tried setting my router to wireless N only and the adapter picks up the router, but refuses to connect to it. Any ideas on how to get it to connect in wireless N to my router?

Thanks

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Two things: First things first. No, N+ and N are not the same thing. 802.11n was recently accepted as the standard for the technology. That means that all the 802.11 pre n routers out there will either need an update, or be replaced.

Second. It will depend on your software whether it will actually show the transmission rate (300Mb/s) or the speed of the signal (54Mb/s). Check it with a third-party program, like Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector (http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php). HINT: Use the gadget. It will give you your actual speed.

Courtney

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Pretty much all the pre-n wireless devices in the last two years or so are compatible with the final 802.11n, but I certainly agree with the advice to update them, as probably few had faultless initial firmware.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. If you update it then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure.

Make sure you have the latest driver for the wireless adapter.

Make sure you are using the 40 MHz bandwidth.

4. MxGaza28

MxGaza28 Thread Starter

Downloaded Wifi Inspector and it confirmed it is a wireless N connection, and the speed test is showing alot higher speed than before! Thanks for your help.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Glad we could help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/900313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice