1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin wireless network card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by simonshort, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simonshort

simonshort Thread Starter

Hello i have recently installed a wireless peer to peer network in my house. The system is a Belkin 54g one. The system runs fine however every so often my laptop will reconnect to the router. I lose my internet connection briefly and any downloads that are going at the time are also interupted. How can this be fixed??

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is the router still connected to adsl -
    things like remote phones & microwaves may interfere

do you automatcally get the dns server IP - i found this worked better by putting them in.

try this program see if the wireless drops
    Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

3. simonshort

i am running a dsl router. I have an ntl 1.5 mbps connection. I downloaded that program, it tells me that my signal noise is -65 dbm whatever that means. I really am not good with networking so dont really know what any of this means. I also have a problem when downloadin using the bittorrent system.

4. simonshort

just after i posted this my networked dropped. The network stumbler program reported that i had 2 AP's running and the mac address of the new ap was 00000000. The connection then dropped.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you will see a graph and that shows the signal strength - so if the connection drops but the signal does not then you know its not due to lose of signal

6. simonshort

hmm.. the attachment shows what results i am getting

Attached Files:

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    anything like a portable phone - or microwave around - or other wireless devices broadcasting !!!!

8. simonshort

I do have a mobile phone in my bedroom but my brother does as well. he is using the same network card and has no problems. I know that his one is not affecting my connection though as we only got the second card yesterday and my connection was dropping before then.

Just a thort though.. when i first installed the card it came with loads of belkin software that i didnt like. This managed the connection. I didnt really notice the problem with that set up but now i just let windows manage my wireless network and i just use the drivers for the network card. Also could the xp firewall be interfering with it as it was set to protect my wireless connection aswell??

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK - so your brother is connected wirelessly to the network and has no problems at all using the belkin software and drivers -
    why not set it up the same as his and see if you keep a stable connection - then once you have a stable connection, you know its not hardware/software - then start playing with alternatives

10. simonshort

well he has a win 98 laptop with the original belkin software so i might try puttin that back on.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice