1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless Networking problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by black ballon, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black ballon

black ballon Thread Starter

I have a belkin wireless G USB Network Adapter which looks like this:

http://keelstech.com/zencart/images/BelkinWirelessGUSBNetworkAdapter.jpg

And a Belkin Pre-N Wireless Router which looks like this:

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/blogimages/belkin_pre-n_wireless_router.jpg

(I post pictures to help others get a better image of what I'm working with)

Anyways, I recently had to reformat everything and start over. Everything seems to be working rather smoothly but the USB Network adapter. My connection speed is literally 10-20 mbps. When it normally runs a nice 60-80 mbps. And before the reformat it worked completely fine.

So here's what I have tried and done in order to resolve this issue. And by the way there are 3 other pc's on the network and all work just fine and are up to speed connection wise and also use wireless belkin network cards, except for the one downstairs which is an older usb linksys (which is now Belkin) adapter. Anywho...

I have tried moving the adapter around in case there is interference.
    I've updated all the drivers to the latest version.
    I have tried different USB ports and installed the software each time.
    I have updated windows xp home with all the updates.
    I've tried resetting the router and adjusting it's position.
    I've configured the wireless connection for encryption, manual IP and server. I've also tried auto detect.
    I've scanned for viruses, spyware, malware, dialers, keyloggers. I cleared with flying colors.
    I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in.
    I've tried cleaning the devices.
    I've tried adjusting the internet setting both on explorer and Firefox.

I am honestly out of ideas and welcome anyone who has anymore suggestions. I look forward to hearing a response or suggestion. The only thing I can figure is my adapter is busted, since I've had it over a year now.

Thank you for your time.

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Have you changed any settings on the router or moved it to a different position? Other devices in the 2.4.Ghz range eg microwaves can interfere with a wireless signal as well.

3. black ballon

The router is still in the original position I had it in when it worked.

I'm thinking my step-brother might cause interference. He set-up his computer in the next room and maybe that is causing interference.

4. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Try asking him to unplug his wireless and see if the speed improves, if it does he is causing the interference, also do you have any cordless or mobile phones etc around that could interfere?

5. black ballon

he isn't wireless at all. his computer has no internet.

we have a few cellphones that my sisters and mom use but they have never been a problem before. And nothing has changed with those.

6. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Oh okay then try using a different adapter of the same specs and see if the speed increses

7. black ballon

Okay I just went on another computer on the network and I noticed it running at the same speed. So now all the computers on the network are slow and it was probably that way before I just didn't notice.

This only started happening about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm figuring we need to consider the router now...

8. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Has any of your neighbours recently bought a new router as this could interfere as well. And yes i feel it may be the router, but maybe your isp is capping bandwidth. So in order to determine which one try asking your brother how his internet speed is doing. If it has dropped it is most likely an external factor like bandwidth capping by your isp, if not then see if the router is imposing a speed limit on wireless devices

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice