1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless Networking problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by black ballon, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black ballon

black ballon Thread Starter

I have a belkin wireless G USB Network Adapter which looks like this:

http://keelstech.com/zencart/images/BelkinWirelessGUSBNetworkAdapter.jpg

And I have a router:

http://www.hal-pc.org/journal/2006/06_july/0706-Belkin-Router-Graphic.jpg

Okay before I start with my problems I just want to say I've called Belkin tech support about 12 times and this issue has never been resolved. And if it has, it lasts for a few minutes like when we switch the channels.

Okay there are 2 computers:

One is a laptop that is standard Windows XP Home edition. It has a built-in wireless networking card (I don't know what it is) but if I were to guess some standard dell one that came with it. It works completely fine with the network.

Then there's my desktop which is Windows XP Home edition. It is a pentium 4 1.99 GHz, 250 gb HDD, and 512 MB DDR1 RAM. I don't think the specs matter much but there they are anyways...

Okay the problems are:

When I start the computer it takes a good 3-5 minutes to go online. I see the tv icon appear and it connects instantly but the internet connection is non-existent for 3-5 minutes for some reason. Under properties sent is high but recieved is very low it's like 100-200 kb per every 45 seconds.

I get constant dropped connections. No matter what I do on the internet whether I download, browse youtube, send e-mails etc. The connection drops for a good 15 seconds every 5-10 minutes then comes back on full speed just fine.

As far as my router home page. There is no firewall neither on windows service packs or on the router. I've disabled both. I'm only operating around 2 other networks with weak connections and I'm on channel 11 and they're on 6. So no conflict there.

I have 128bit WEP security enabled. Wireless mode has 802.11g&802.11b enabled. Protected Mode is off 802.11e QoS is off. Wi-Fi Protection is off. Nothing shows up in the security log except me.

I recently restarted the router from the homepage and that seems to help but other then that I am completely stumped on why the network acts the way it does. All the phones are filtered, I've even tried unplugging them. There is only about 40 feet between me and the router so it is not a space issue. I've scanned for viruses, spyware, malware, trojans etc. with multiple programs.

I am stumped.

The only thing I can somewhat figure is there is a hardware conflict between the dsl modem from Verizon and the router or my wireless card and the router.

Thanks for any help guys. Much love for this website.(y)

2. Wino

Wino

I'll say upfront that I never cared much for the performance of USB networking, hardwired or wireless.

I would try getting a USB extension / patch cable male/female to allow relocation of antenna. It sounds as if you are having transmission problems between router & desktop. You don't say if there are walls, rooms or whatever. Had a friend with similar problem and once antenna relocated problem was resolved.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Another possibility is that you have multiple wireless clients running--maybe a Belkin one and XP's WZC. If so, stop the one(s) not being used.

4. black ballon

black ballon Thread Starter

Who: Maybe we're both right then and it's USB networking device issue. Although Belkin swears there are no hardware conflicts...*rollseyes*

The router is located upstairs in a loft and I'm located downstairs. There is only a wooden door that sits between me and the router and that is about it. I originally moved it upstairs from another bedroom downstairs, same performance on the network though.

Terrynet: No, I only have windows handling my network. I tried using Belkin's software and it shows the received drop off like it does on windows networking manager.

5. Wino

Wino

You are completely sure you're connecting to your LAN?? The reason I ask, I recently had a vistor that had a bad connection at my LAN and we found his wireless had jumped on another wireless in the neighborhood that was open (unencrypted) - his service came and went until we got him connected to my LAN.

I have found the manufacturers wireless software works much better than Windows WZ as they usually give you the mac addresss of the gateway so you no for sure you are connected properly. Another problem I've run into is the wireless trying to bypass my gateway (192.168.1.1) and connect directly to cable DNS and that's pretty crappy, if at all.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you get a strong signal, and does it stay strong even when the disconnects occur?

You have no 2.4 GHz cordless phones, right? No baby monitors that may be using the same frequency range?

Have you made sure that the USB adapter is not actually losing power for a few seconds before coming back on? If you are looking for this, you can usually hear it happening (the "ping" of a USB connection/disconnection).

I won't repeat Wino's post, but will add that if you try the Belkin utility, make sure that WZC is really out of the way: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - Wireless Zero Configuration should be stopped and have Startup Type of 'Disabled.'

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice