1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin wireless router + Buffalo Linkstation = slow speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrpantless, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrpantless

mrpantless Thread Starter

Argh!

I have a Belkin wireless router (F5D7230-4), a Buffalo Linkstation 250, and a new Dell Dimension 9100 with XP-home and plenty o' RAM. Everything mentioned is directly cabled together, with only 1 laptop sharing the wireless access.

EVERYTHING is fast--internet, processing, whatever--except transferring files to the Linkstation, which takes forever. 400 megs took 18 hours the other day (!). Furthermore, if I start to transfer a bunch of MP3s, the first 5 or 6 will FLY, but then it just grinds to a crawl. If I'm just browsing the contents of the Linkstation, the speed is fine; playing an MP3 directly from the drive works fine as well. And if I hook the Linkstation directly into my network card, it runs like greased lightning, so I assume it's a router issue.

All firmware is updated. No firewalls on. Protected mode is off. Frame bursting is on. NAT on. UPNP on.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions for me? I couldn't find any other posts that seemed to address my specific issue, and it's driving me nuts...! Thanks in advance!

2. DBClark

DBClark

I had some problems with a Belkin/Linksys combination when I switched to WPA-TKIP Security. After going back to WEP everything was fine.

Are you using security on your wireless network?

3. mrpantless

I'm using WPA-TKIP, yep. I tried switching back to WEP, and even tried switching network security off completely--didn't seem to speed anything up at all. Curses! I welcome more suggestions!

4. DBClark

DBClark

From your first post, it does look as though it is a router issue. Before placing all the blame on it, I'd like to know if file transfers between the laptop and your Dell duplicate the same transfer issue as the NAS.

5. mrpantless

Honestly, I couldn't say--I never transfer between the Dell & the laptop and, honestly, wouldn't even know how? The router gives both computers access to the internet and the Buffalo Linkstation, but I've never bothered to figure out how to transfer between them. On the rare instance that I need something from one computer onto the other, I just send it to the Linkstation.

As I've been poking around the settings, looking for the button that says "fix everything," I've developed some questions:

A) Should the Linkstation show up on the router's DHCP client list? It doesn't at present.

B) I assume I want the WINS Server Settings on the Linkstation to be enabled, and that the IP entered should be the IP of the router, not the Dell?

C) I also assume that the Linkstation doesn't need to be set up as a "virtual server" on the router?

I appreciate your help, DBClark!!
    --Alex--

6. DBClark

DBClark

A) If configured correctly...YES

B) WINS...NO. Linkstation should be configured to obtain IP automatically...from the router.

C) I see no need for this.

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Um just as a side note making a linkstation to be DHCP is probably not a smart thing to do as Ip's can change on you and sometimes this can cause issues in itself.

Usually you will want to go in and set it as static and at this point. At this point NO it won't show up in the client list.

Also look at the linkstations support page -

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads-product.php

First there is a firmware update... it is over 41 MB so it may be something MAJOR. I'ld download it and see what it fixes and maybe try that.

As well I'ld check the sleep timer and possibly disable it just for awhile see if the disk may inappropriately be going into a slumber mode.

8. DBClark

DBClark

While visiting the Linkstations website I didn't see the firmware update. Definitely would check that out too!

The IP address setting that I suggested was obtained from the manual, see page 15 of the PDF file. I'm sure it can be configured statically as Stumptechy has suggested...and may prove to be better. It is something that you will have to try and see which works best for your LAN.

Attached Files:

9. mrpantless

OKAY, here's the update:

(1) Updated the Firmware. Now even the Linkstation config screens are kinda slow. It currently takes 4 minutes to transfer 16 meg to the Linkstation.

(2) The Linkstation is currently showing up on the router's DHCP Client List.

(3) WINS = currently disabled.

(4) Sleep timer = already off.

(5) How do I make the IP static? If I use the Linkstation IP Setup Utility (as in DBClark's very handy picture) to "Change IP Address" and click "Acquire IP Address Automatically," it will always pick the same IP again and it never STAYS checked. And yet the Linkstation's status screen lists the IP with "(manually assigned)" beside it.

Any thoughts? I owe you both a cookie for this...!

10. DBClark

DBClark

Back to post #1. With the exception of the laptop, "everything is cabled together". What do have the Linkstation cabled to? The router or the Dell? Just want to make sure of your configuration.

11. mrpantless

The Linkstation is network cabled directly into the router, and the router directly into the Dell (as per Linkstation's setup documentation). If I hook the Linkstation directly into my my network card it's fast as hell, but I'm stuck with no internet access and, of course, the laptop can't access it. Quite frankly, I wish I could just use USB ports--the only USB port the Linkstation has is for external printers (and yep, in a moment of desperation I tried it--it's a no-go).

The DHCP Client Function is still enabled on the Linkstation, and the Default Gateway disabled--I wish it had a HiJack This!-type log I could just paste with every setting. I'll enclose the Linkstation system status page, since that's as close as I can get!

Attached Files:

12. DBClark

DBClark

I am somewhat at a loss. I wish I had the Linkstation here to actually try setting up.

When you transfer a file(s) to or attempt to, where are you accessing the drive? Network Places? Does it show up as a drive letter?

The reason that I ask is because of your workgroup name on the Linkstation as "Belkin". The default workgroup name for Windows workgroup is MSHOME. With the Linkstation, the Dell, and the Laptop configured as LAN Workgroup, you would then be able to share files and folders between all 3 devices through the router.

Anyone else out there to help on this?

13. mrpantless

Yep, it shows up under Network Drives on My Computer (drive P:).

I changed the workgroup name on both the Linkstation and Buffalo drive to "MSHOME," but it didn't help the speed any (both were "Belkin" before). What else would I need to do to configure them as a LAN Workgroup?

14. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You may not want to use MSHOME as this is a common workgroup and can possibly allow others to connect in. I would make sure they are all some other workgroup name...

As a workgroup that is the only thing...

As far as the gateway being empty you can put in your router's IP as your Linkstations gateway but this probably won't speed up the connection at all since everything is internal they whould not need to use a gateway.

I noticed you named the Linkstation Pete is this a 100% original name or is any other device named this as well? This can be a cause for concern if more than one device is named the same... Also ensure your times are the same as well. Usually this causes more of a problem in a domain settings but at this point I am grasping at straws.

15. mrpantless

A) Changed MSHOME to something else for safety.

B) The Linkstation won't let me change the gateway--the Default Gateway Settings are disabled and faded out (i.e. "unclickable"). The good news is that the default gateway address listed IS the router's.

C) Pete is 100% original. BUT, to rule that out, I renamed the Linkstation and re-mapped the drive as a different drive letter. Alas, no improvement.

I don't even know what DHCP stands for, but I DO know that it's enabled on the Linkstation yet doesn't show up on the DHCP Client List on the router (the laptop does). Is that acceptable??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice