1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

belkin wireless router/cisco 350/win2k non-connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rebelrsr, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebelrsr

rebelrsr Thread Starter

am a newbie.... please help.
    have configured a belkin wireless router (f5d6231-4) with ssid, 128-bit encryption. with the winxp box physically hooked up to the router, everything is dandy: can ping router, and am getting a dynamic ip address from it.

however, with my laptop (win2k) using a cisco 350 lan adapter, i am unable to get an ip address. the aironet client utility states that it is associated with the mac id of the router, am seeing the signal strength fine, have set zone alarm to accept router's mac id as well, configured the aironet client to the same ssid, encryption settings as the router preferences... am getting a 169.254 ip.

belkin is set such that mac address filtering has the laptop's mac id so i don't think that is the problem.... i've even tried different channels 11 and 6, but still the same results....

both boxes have tcp/ip set such that they automatically obtain ip addresses and dns server addresses.

i've used an cat5e cable on the laptop and all is dandy. just when i try to use the cisco card that all attempts fail in getting an ip address issued....

what am i doing wrong??? please advise....

2. rebelrsr

rebelrsr Thread Starter

disabled wep and it works now. question is why is wep not allowing the router to assign an ip address to the win 2k machine? will google...

3. hermes

hermes

Look on the end of the client and it will say 'Cisco Systems'. Thats what the problem will be.

But seriously, try turning off Zone Alarm and see if it changes things. I have to turn mine off often as it inexplicably blocks apps.

Or, try updating the client firmware (and I emphasis try)

4. rebelrsr

rebelrsr Thread Starter

thnx, hermes,

but it seems disabling the wep did the trick... btw, have updated with firmware on all apps, but it still gave the same results.

seems from consumer reviews that the belkin model needs to be tossed, and i guess from your comment, so does the cisco wireless card....

5. hermes

hermes

I work for a major Cisco vendor and Aironet is a pile of ****.

For home use Netgear wipes the floor with it. We sell and demonstrate Cisco but do not use it for wireless at all. We did, but it rolled over so often that we tossed it.

6. hermes

hermes

PS Did you enter the WEP in Hex or Decimal? Sometimes it has to be in Hex, I just remembered.

7. rebelrsr

rebelrsr Thread Starter

hi hermes,

wep using 128-bit hex #.... but u know what... :rolleyes: have decided to take belkin back. it's disconnecting even on the cat5e... ugh. so netgear, eh? read reviews on netgear wgr614. good for home use? any suggestions for another wireless card adapter, btw? thnx so much. rebelrsr

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/252631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice