1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin wireless router security settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chrys, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrys

chrys Thread Starter

Hello - please be patient with me, as I do don't doubt mine is a stupid question :eek:

I have a Belkin wireless router, with which I've managed to connect to the internet. However, whenever I try to adjust the security settings, the connection drops out, and I can't connect.

I installed the router using the installation CD and all was fine. Until I tried to make the connection secure. :(

have IntelPro Series wireless, but I don't really know if I should be trying to adjust security settings from within that software, or windows.

I'm so confused.:confused: Any assistance would be appreciated.

---------------------
    Dell Laptop (Inspiron 6400) running Windows XP
    Belkin Wireless router: F5D7230-4

2. danmcman

danmcman

Are you using WPA or WEP security? Try both if you have problems with either. I've had better luck with WEP on some older wireless cards/drivers, when WPA wouldn't hold a connection.

I have to ask, are you changing the router settings while connected to the wireless or are you using a patch cable?

3. chrys

chrys Thread Starter

Gosh, that's a good question. I think I've tried to change the settings once connected. But I probably tried to change them while I was disconnected, too. This will sound idiotic, but I feel as if I've tried everything, yet I'm certain it's probably quite straightforward, but that I"m not doing it properly.
    No forms of security that I've tried are working. Should I disconnect the internet, and then adjust the settings? At the moment, it's an open connection, with no encryption. The minute I try to change it, I can't connect.
    Thanks for your patience.

4. danmcman

danmcman

5. chrys

chrys Thread Starter

I'm so clueless, I don't even know how to connect through a "patch cable". However, I have clicked on your link, and downloaded the manual. it says there is a built in firewall. Does this mean that I don't have to change any of the settings? (believe me, as I'm typing this, I can see how idiotic I sound, but I really don't know what I'm very confused about this - sorry).

6. danmcman

danmcman

Ok, lets start from the wayyyy beginning :)

1) Take a network cable and plug it into the back of the Belkin router in any numbered port (1-4) and plug in the other end into your computer's LAN port.

2) Open up an internet explorer window and in the address bar type in 192.168.2.1.

3) It should prompt you for a password, which will be left blank if you haven't already changed it. Leave it blank and click submit.

Let me know if you make it this far.

7. chrys

chrys Thread Starter

You are a gem, dancman. By accessing the settings through the browser, I managed to set up WPA-PSK security with TKIP encryption,(which i was not successfully able to do via windows) I have managed to do this, and still be connected to the internet! (doing a merry jig here, hehehe). Should that make my connection more secure? (I also use Zonealarm firewall)

8. danmcman

danmcman

WPA-PSK will secure your wireless network so other, non-authorized computers will NOT be able to connect to your network and steal your internet connection/network resources. You should be good to go with ZA firewall on your PC as well.

Good work! Never been called a gem before.. :) I've been called many things, but gem is not one of them!

9. chrys

chrys Thread Starter

Well as far as I'm concerned, you certainly are a gem. (y) Thank you so much for your assistance, and probably even more importantly, your patience with my scatterbrained posts. :confused:
    You've been so kind and helpful. :eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice