1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin wireless router with vista-wired works wireless doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xfile47, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I set up everything and if I have it wired it works fine but wireless it says can't find page when you try to get on the internet. I have set up networks before and never had a problem. first time I have used a Belkin router G+ I guess one of my question is this. I was reading on the Belkin site that it is already set for dynamic and that is for a cable modem and sounds like I should change it to pppoe for a DSL modem. would that make the difference. It is a brand new laptop and the wireless card is on and it sees the network and works when wired, it says it is connected wirelessly but wont get on the internet when not wired. Would the pppoe thing make a differnce? Please give me some help here. Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the wired connection to the router is working, you don't have a WAN configuration issue. You're looking in the wrong place in that case.

I'm thinking you have something basic like mismatched encryption keys here. Note that Vista also may have issues with WEP, try WPA or WPA2 for better results.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

well to try not to have any security problems I made it an unsecured network, so there shouldn't be any problem with that should there? I will try the WPA I am not going out to there house until monday, it it is not something with that have you got any other suggestions also so once I get out there if one thing doen't work I have a 2nd option to try or do you thing I will find the problem with that

4. JohnWill

Well, I'd certainly want some level of encryption on the network, my experience suggests that WPA is a good compromise and is usually the easiest level to get working across a broad range of equipment.

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

yea, I will put some one for sure, and you think that arera also has something to do with the wireless not connecting to the internet? It shows the wireless and says it is connected just won't pull a page up at all , says page cannot be displayed not connected to the internet, like I said even tho everything else says it is connected. I will take another look at the WAP and security area and set up some security on it. Thanks

6. JohnWill

I'd have to see some additional data to have some idea what's happening here. On the problem machine.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output!

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

ok, what I am going to do is go back out to her place and play around with it for another hour or so. (On Monday the 13th) If I don't get it going I will bring her router and laptop to my house and hook it to my dsl modem (it is exactly the same as hers) aand then I let you no what is going on in real time and maybe you could help me then. If I get it working here then it will work there. Would that work for you?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice