1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Belkin Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BKettler, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BKettler

BKettler Thread Starter

I have a Belkin Wireless Router model F5D9230-4. I can connect to the internet wirelessly on both of my computers. I cannot connect to the routers admin page even while i have the router directly plugged into my computer. I've tried using both of my computers to do it. It just thinks.. and thinks.. and then says failure. The IP address for the router is 192.168.2.1, I've reset the router, factory reset the router and tech support was less than useful so I'm here...

Here is what I believe I will be asked for soon.. let me know what else I need.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Brandon>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.4

C:\Documents and Settings\Brandon>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Documents and Settings\Brandon>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Brandon>

I've tried finding the problem out by surfing the web.. but apparently I'm special because I'm the only person with this particular problem. :(

2. BKettler

BKettler Thread Starter

After reading around some more.. here is an ipconfig /all.

C:\Documents and Settings\Brandon>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BKettler
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin
    Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Conne
    ction
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-76-D8-A8-2F
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:11:20
    PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:11:20 P
    M

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Netw
    ork Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-AB-39-49
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.4
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:11:35
    PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:11:35 P
    M

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It shouldn't matter, but just in case, disable the wireless connection and see if that helps. If it doesn't, try with wireless enabled but ethernet disabled.

Do you have a 3rd party firewall that might allow input from public (web) IP addresses but not from your LAN?

4. BKettler

BKettler Thread Starter

I have turned windows firewall off and I don't have a third party firewall. Disconnecting one connection or the other doesn't work either.. this problem is infuriating :/ I saw someone with a problem *similiar* to this and he had to mess with his NIC settings.. anyone have any idea what those would be or how to do it?

5. BKettler

BKettler Thread Starter

Just putting this to the front page, I'm still stumped.. home from work and ready to work on it.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only other thing I have thought of is a firmware upgrade. But I won't suggest that for obvious reasons. :)

Try the reset to factory default settings again. Maybe this time it will think that you are really serious.

Is this a new router? Or have you successfully accessed it before?

7. BKettler

BKettler Thread Starter

I can't firmware upgrade it due to the fact I can't access it.. and this is a brand new router. I actually had the same issue with the one before it, but took it back to wal-mart and told em it was jacked up. 2 in a row of the same type of router has to mean the issue is on my side right? Network magic can't even access the router to set up security.. it just says it can't. Factory reset didn't do anything either.. lol I'm about to just say screw wireless and just staple wires to the wall all the way through the house :p

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have seen only one other problem remotely similar to yours. In that case the router's configuration pages displayed fine on one PC, but on the other only a very small portion of the first page would show.

The problem turned out to be a 3rd party firewall. When he finally uninstalled it everything worked fine.

9. BKettler

BKettler Thread Starter

I'm 100% positive I have no third party firewalls. My antivirus is Panda and it has no firewalls. Windows firewall off.. Oh well, I'll take it as SOL and just hardwire it. Thank you for your help TerryNet.

10. DarthOdor

DarthOdor

You are showing me that you are using a statis configuration, but then you seem to have the router set up to use DHCP. It's possible, but you need to state if you intended to be setting up a static IP on your PC or not. Also, did you ISP (internet service provider) assign you a static IP or are you getting served your router IP via your ISP's DHCP?
    I don't know if I should be telling you how to fix your network for static routes or DHCP?
    If you reset your router, it most likely will have dhcp enabled. So, go to the NIC interface on your PC (double click on the icon) and follow the dialogue box options to set the properties on the IP/TCP settings. Check the option to be assigned an IP via DHCP (automatically) and also check the option to be assigned DNS servers automatically. (Caution, this is wrong is your ISP has assigned you a static IP -- but, I don't think so, since your configuration also showed me that you are assigning the IP of the DNS servers, youself. Those IP addresses (ones your've assigned are incorrect. They are different than either your gateway address or the IP. If you are using a static IP, provided by your ISP, then your ISP will give you 2 DNS server IP,s to put in these spaces. If your ISP is proviidng you DHCP, the check the automatically box so that your ISP will automatically assigned those numbers to your interface. Do the same thing for the setting on your router. But, for IP use the IP provided to you by your ISP. For the gateway, use the gateway IP assigned to you by your ISP -- if the ISP gave you an IP but did not give you a gateway, then the gateway IP to use will be the same IP as your internet IP. ... Git rid of the name BELKIN on your router, just leave that blank. Then if you can't ping your IP address, write me at my email address . It's OK to post here, just send me an email letting me know your posted a response and then I'll come see.
    Keith

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

DarthOder, we do NOT allow people to pull support questions to email for what should be obvious reasons. One of the benefits of the public forum is that there is peer review of any solutions provided. This allows the person with the issue to have the benefit of the best possible advice and solutions to their problem.

You might also learn about paragraphs, that blob of text is VERY hard to read.

12. DarthOdor

DarthOdor

You know John, I wrote the response to a posting back on Nov 1st - for what it was worth. The poor guy had problems, real ones, and he had to ask after waiting for 2 week for someone to help him, anyone at all. Where were you then, John? But, you know when I think about the time you have to post about your email policy - to tell what??, when you could of written back to the child with the problem--like you care?? You got to be kidden if you think you don't make an impression -- saying stuff like "you should write with better english." Well, Professor John, you should try writing anything. I guess you're the kind of moderator who would rather sit around looking at dirty picture downloads. You can remove my account, John, I won't be back.

Bllaaaaaaaaa.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice