Bell Modem Constantly Crashing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SIRJACOBSTINE

For the past 2 or so weeks my bell home hub 2000 modem has been crashing non stop. It has become a real problem for me as I need to attend my live classes, yet have got no information from any of my classes because I'm reconnecting more than I'm in class. Because of this I cant do my work properly, so I need extensions, and the extensions pile up, and the internet gets super frustrating so I need to take breaks which makes more work pile up...so on so fourth. This issue started after a series of short but plentiful power outages hit, and screwed up our modems settings. A little backstory about the modems settings, we have slow connection where we live, only 5 mbps plan (which really means 2-1.5 mbps download on good days) and a previous problem we had with bell is that the internet would drop down to a 0.5-0.2 mbps connection. After getting in contact with support, I learned that to get the connection back to what it should be I needed to ask them to "change the speed profile" of my modem. That got the speed back to 1.5 and then I left it alone, going back and asking for the same thing when it reverted again. So back to the power outage, I guess the outages changed my modems settings, because the speed profile got reset. In an attempt to get it back to what it was, I went back to support who got it working. HOWEVER, they had me do a reboot of my modem just to be safe. Unplugged it for 30 seconds. and ever since I plugged it back in, the modem crashes constantly. Per hour, I expect upwards of 20 crashes. We even replaced our modem (same model) and the problem still continues. I have noticed the crashes are more intense around certain times, like 11 am, 1 pm, 330pm, 1 am, and 2-230 am (there are other times but I haven't documented them). Resetting the modem does nothing, unplugging does nothing. Bell support is utter bullcrap. They do nothing to help you and the website provides no useful information for anything. bell support runs you in circles and ruins everything. and when i try to look elsewhere, people use confusing computer talk and acronyms which I don't understand. I came here because the last time i had an issue with my internet, it was solved quite effectively and efficiently. So, as I asked in my other question...

If you can help, please do. Try to avoid complex internet/computer acronyms, but if you must use them, please describe them as best as you can. And quick responses is definitely preferable, I need the internet for schooling. Thanks!

Couriant

James
Hello!

Can you confirm that the modem lights are blinking like its restarting?

SIRJACOBSTINE

The WAN light often goes blinking red when it crashes, then it flashes red when the connection is coming back, then it goes blue again when its back. the internet light also goes solid red sometimes, and often follows the same pattern as the WAN light when it also goes red.

Couriant

James
OK, so it's going to be two things...

WAN light will indicate the connection to Bell. If it's not blue then you don't have connectivity to Bell which would be a signal issue, or a modem issue. The timeframe of the disconnects may be due to other people going online.

You will need to get a technician to come to your home and check your signals. It may be house wiring as well. Do you have a splitter or is the cable going direct to the wall? If you are not going to get a tech in, the modem will need to be replaced to rule that out.

SIRJACOBSTINE

the heck is a splitter? also, I already said the modem was just replaced the other day... also im almost sure its not people connecting/disconnecting because im legit the only person awake in my house from 1230 am onwards, and these issues are also happening at 1 am and 2-230 am as well as the afternoon.

Couriant

James
Your post is one big sentence and not broken up, hence why I missed the 'replaced modem' part, as well as the late night usage, I only saw the afternoon times you mentioned.

A splitter is a device that allows you to have 2 or more connections. In this case you have a DSL modem, which connects to a phone line jack in the wall. some people may need a landline phone in the same place as the modem so a splitter is needed to have both phone and modem connected. Something like this:

1607092821495.png

Since the issue happened after power outages, and continues after the modem change, then either you have something else connected to the phone line (phones, security system) that is affecting the line or there is something disturbing the line quality. You will need to get a technician out but don't advise them the speed issue, this is a service issue (no internet going to the modem).

You may want to contact Bell again to request them to reconfigure your Bell modem to the correct settings. They would be able to do this remotely from their office. Also, mention that there was a power outage. Also, they may need to send out a technician since a Bell-side issue due to the power outage may have occurred. This could be in the form of remote equipment or line damage.

SIRJACOBSTINE

After talking to my dad I have discovered that we do not have a splitter, but rather 2 dedicated lines once the phone line reaches the house. One line leads to our home phone for calls and stuff, the other goes into our modem.

TerryNet

Terry
we do not have a splitter, but rather 2 dedicated lines once the phone line reaches the house.
Actually that surely means that where the line reaches your house there is a good "whole house" filter/splitter. One possibility is that the filter was damaged. Don't know if Bell would be willing to come out and make a quick check on that.

Couriant

James
I meant to say filter, not splitter. I am confident that there is some kind of filter if you had the phone separated from the modem.
Does your phone line have good quality?

SIRJACOBSTINE

Update, i begrudgingly contacted bell once again to see if they could rebot things on their side, and they did. although initially it showed no effects, the internet has gone 5 hours without crashing once, so i think it may be fixed. Thanks for all your help though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online