1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Benefits of a gaming keyboard over an ergonomic keyboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bonecrusher123, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

2. BG-0

BG-0

In reality, there is no benefit in any 'gaming' keyboard. If you're a real, real hardcore gamer, you will use the best PS/2 keyboard you can find, usually that pretty much means the 5-year-old $7 board. (USB cannot handle an infinite amount of keystrokes at the same time, as PS/2 can)

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Another vote for PS/2 from me... PS/2 also has its own controller, so less CPU interference.

And gaming keyboards are 99% marketing, little benefit for most.

4. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

5. Compiler

Compiler

I still use an ergonomic keyboard (clone of the MS natural - with some differences I like) from 1997. Its SOOOO Old, its not even a PS/2 Keyboard! Its an AT type, but with a PS/2 Adapter plugged into a 3' PS/2 cable (because the AT+PS/2 adapter is about 4" long and heavy - don't want to break PS/2 port).

You need to:
    A - read some reviews on gaming & other keyboards you're looking at.
    B - FEEL the keyboard first, before buying.

Much of what MAKES a "gaming" keyboard is the style and that the keys light up. Make sure you actually like the keyboard before you spend $50~2000. Okay, only the LED keyboard is $2000.

C - MS doesn't really design their Sidewinder products, they pay RAZOR to make xbox/Sidewinder looking products.

MS keyboard review: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=237&Itemid=65 I think the snap-off to either side numeric keypad could be handy.

But the Timberwolf is what I would call a TRUE gamer keyboard: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=218&Itemid=65 this design is actually over 3 years old. They also make a version with JUST the WASD circular pad.

[​IMG]

So you may want to check out recent Logitech and Razer reviews.

But when I play games, I never use WASD to play.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice