1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Benq Internet Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KopyKat, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KopyKat

KopyKat Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a relative's Benq laptop runing XP that shows its connected to the internet in
    network connections but fails to load webpages.

It all started when it was running very poorly, thought it may have been a worm but scans
    were negative. Installed more ram (for a total of 1GB) and blew XP Home of the face of the
    planet, bought and loaded Pro onto it.

So the internet was "working" before the reload. When I say working the laptop was so
    slow that webpages would time out, but eventualy we could get them to load.

With the new clean install of XP Pro

I can download updates for programs and can use google (can do searches). It can also
    load some Australian hosted pages.

For pages it doesnt load it just seems to time out. Very simmilar result as you would
    expect when your internet is shaped.

I thought thats what it was at first but the other computers on the network sharing the
    same connection are fine working fine.

The cat5 isnt an issue as i have tried another PC's cable with the exact same (ofcourse
    different MAC) networking options.

I have taken the laptop home and it works fine on both wireless and wired connection.

Because it is working at home I am finding it hard to replicate and therefore narrow down
    the problem so have reset the ip stack, done the winsock fix.

Running out of ideas, as a last resort I may have to load to ghosted image and see what is
    different.

Summary/Recap:

*Slow laptop With home

*Installed more RAM and reinstalled XP (but pro edition)

*Internet works fine on my network

*Only some webpages Hosted in Australia work on relatives network

*Internet looks like it is connected in Network Connections

Thank you all for your time and reading through all that it was an effort to type so must
    have been awful to read ;)

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you moved the failing machine to the location of one of the working machines and connected to the exact outlet that the working computer uses? This may be a power or grounding issue. The other possibility is the NIC is failing in the machine, but that seems to be covered by your remote test.

4. KopyKat

KopyKat Thread Starter

No I have not but running on battery power yeilded the same results unfortunatly.

I doubt very much that it is hardware as I am sitting quite contently surfing the internet at my home. (I wrote the previous post along with this one on the offending laptop )

Just puzzeling that it refuses to work at relatives home, and yet the other computers are fine...

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That certainly is a bit odd. It may be something subtle that's not jumping out at us.

6. KopyKat

KopyKat Thread Starter

Hah yes, the devil is in the details ;)

The hardware and software of the laptop is the same at both sites.

And the other computers are using the connection without a hitch.

I wonder where the middle ground is...

Is there any posibility that I could be a driver issue?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706675