bent cpu pin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

harlestone

Hi
yes I bent a cpu pin the full 90 degrees it was a corner pin and did not line up
when I put the lever down if you get me.
Well I straightened it I have no MB to test it on do you think it will survive or is it now an attractive piece of garbage like me

I'm betting that it's still good! Although I've never bent one that much, they still work for me. Next time don't start the partying until after you put the CPU in - not before...

harlestone

I thought it would be okay I shall keep my fingers crossed you are right. I shall let you know when a board arrives.

it will still work.

i have seen CPU's thet were missing up to 3 pins and the cpu still worked fine.

sometimes pins can break off while being shipped.
but if the cpu by any chance doesnt work, you can always return it

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
As long as the pin is still attached, it should work fine. I've straightened a bunch of pins on processors and other PGA packages and used them. Note that the pin is probably weaker than the others, and any more stress and it may break off. That WOULD be a problem. :)

harlestone

for the record the bent pin is now a missing pin and yes it dont work .............

it you have the time you could go looking for the pin and solder it back on

or see if you can return it and get money back

it shouldn't be too hard to solder back on.

just like installing a mod chip on the ps 2

your just working in a different angle

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the pin is on the outside row, a decent tech can indeed solder it back on. It's a lot more complicated if it's on one of the middle rows, but I suspect it can be done. I've put several pins back onto PGA packages, and they all worked after the surgery.

pugmug

Banned
I have see people cut a stright pin used for sewing,insert it in the hole left by the missing pin and it worked.I would not like my cpu rigged that way but as most stores will not take back cpu's with broken pins it may be worth a try for you.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The hole? A PGA package has solid pins, and when one breaks off, there's no hole, just a stub.

Maybe he is talking about the corresponding hole in the board.The pin(sewing)left sticking up probably makes contact.Think I'd go with the soldiering route myself.

G'day Chaps, if you select a repairman with a 1000 watt soldering iron who suffers from Parkinson's disease you might end up with a later model processor!

Seriously use a gas mini iron and after about twenty tries you will likely "jag" a suitable alignment. Make sure you use mini-resin core solder, and don't let the solder wick-up the side of the pin. If all is well and you succeed, don't let the thing ever run too hot.
Just so that I can share your pain "what kind of processor was it"?
Cheers, qldit.

harlestone

I would be to clumsy and have no tools for this kind of work, do you think any techie would buy a chip like this real cheap say ten dollars, it is a amd 1900xp and the missing pin is a corner job.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online