1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bent pins on Socket 775 motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlabit, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

I recently removed an Intel Q6600 quad core processor from a Socket 775 Gigabyte motherboard and found all kinds of bent pins on the motherboard after removal. Don't understand how they got bent. The computer has worked OK with that processor in that motherboard until my CPU fan died and killed my CPU. I removed the CPU to replace it and found a mass of bent pins on the motherboard. Don't understand how this happened. It could not have been this way before the Processor fried so I must have did it while removing the CPU. It has the two tabs there, so have a difficult time understanding how you bend pins pulling that processor out of the socket. Just a matter of releasing the latch and pulling the processor out. Would appreciate any advice on what I did wrong, because the mistake cost me $120 for another motherboard. The pins are mangled and cannot be straightened. Thanks for your advice.

Jim

2. BG-0

BG-0

Did you take it totally straight out? After opening the latch, for maximum safety, you could put one finger softly under one corner(without lifting at all), then put another finger under the opposite corner, pinch the corners and lift as equally as possible... (Just my vision of a safe removal... :eek:) I don't know if there's any chance anything but the removal or insertion of the CPU could bend the pins...

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I don't understand how the contacts could have gotten bent either, unless they were bent when you installed the processor. Did you carefully check the board before installation of the processor.

Another thing I don't understand as why the processor fried? Was it overclocked? In normal circumstances even if the procesor overheated, thermal trip should have occurred and shut the processor down before danage occurred.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would think it probably bent on removal. Did you have a hard time getting the hsf off? Sometimes the hsf is stuck on the cpu.

5. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. Having to borrow a computer to get on here so sorry for the delay in responding. The CPU fan quit working on the CPU. I was always of the impression that there was a protection mechanism working to prevent CPU burnout if the fan quit but guess it wasn't working if there is. As for bending it putting it in, I guess it is possible. That was my first Socket 775 build, but I have been building my own computers for about 10 years now with earlier sockets without difficulty. Also, it worked for approx a year after I built it. My thinking was that I had to bend it taking it out, but having a difficult time understanding how I did it unless I didn't come straight up when I pulled it out. The heat sink was a Thermalright Ultra 120. Just remove four screws. I use MX2 thermal cream and it doesn't get tacky like the Artic Silver 5 does.So no difficulty in taking it off. In any event, it was an expensive lesson learned.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

7. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

Thank you win2kpro. I have bookmarked that page for when my new MSI motherboard arrives from Newegg. Looks like it is all covered there. Thanks again.

Jim

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here is also a video of inspecting and installing the socket 775 processor. Inspection althought it may seem trivial is important, especially on the board processor socket.

I just have a guess that the processor socket may have been damaged slightly before installing the processor. The bent contacts may have been the cause that thermal trip failed.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/res...processor/processors/core2duo/tech/100617.htm

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice