1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best and Easiest Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fast82vette, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fast82vette

fast82vette Thread Starter

I'm just above a beginner and my PC is running pretty slow. I've been afraid to do anything with the registry. I'm looking for the 'best' and 'easiest' to use Registry Cleaner. All opinions will be appreciated.

Thankx
    :cool:

2. brindle

brindle

You didn't say what your OS is. I will give you info for 98\se. If you have another OS then someone else will have to make suggestions.
    I doubt you need to do anything with the registry. Regseeker and Easycleaner

I use winme defrag on my 98se system. Before each defrag I go threw these steps.

I manually delete my cookies,history,temp internet files and the temp files and yes I delete the content.IE% sub-directory. It will be rebuilt upon a reboot.
    I disable everything in task monitor (C+A+D) except systray and explorer, shutdown my firewall,anti-virus and turn off my screen saver. In msconfig make sure that only systemtray, scanregistry your firewall and anti-virus are checked.Yea I still use a screensaver cause they're fun.
    Okay now it's time to run disk clean-up, scandisk then defrag in normal mode. Some have better luck defragging in Safe Mode.
    Always runs great and takes just a few minutes to defrag my 40 gig (4.85 gig used) 7200 seagate.
    The disk clean-up is a backup of what I already did empties the recycle bin at that time.

3. fast82vette

Brindle,

Thankx for your reply. I'll check out those you mentioned.

I thought about writing my O/S at the end of my post and as usual forgot. :rolleyes:

For any others that have opinions:

O/S: WindowsXP Pro. SP2
    Processor: Intel P4 2.26MHz

(if there is anything else I should add, please tell me)

TIA,

4. brindle

brindle

Fast
    thanks for that info it will help others who might reply. I would not of made any suggestions if I'd known your running XP. My instructions are for 98 as stated and probably not applicable to XP...

5. fast82vette

After checking all the registry cleaner I could, "Fix-It Utilities" 'seems' to be the safest for someone like me to use. For me, when it comes to deleting something, SAFETY is the most important thing to consider. After that, it's how easy it is to understand and use. Then it's how well the product works.

I read reviews, but who knows who is paying them to say what they do. :rolleyes: So if anyone has tried the "Fix-It Utilities", I'd like to hear what they have to say.

If anyone knows of a better one, that fits my needs, I'm open to suggestions.

Again, Thankx

6. TOGG

TOGG

Some people believe that registry cleaners are either usesless or even dangerous to use.

Windows is supposed to have some sort of routine to deal with a hugely bloated registry without the use of a third party application. I have never seen any confirmation of the existence of such an ability in Windows. Then again, I have never seen any conclusive evidence as to the benefits or risks of using a cleaner.

Subject to that comment, I have used various cleaners over the years and have never had any problems. I currently use RegSupreme which employs the very highly regarded cleaner that was part of jv16 Power Tools. It isn't freeware but it wasn't very expensive and it has had a free update since I got it;http://www.macecraft.com/

When I run the 'deep' scan it routinely finds 443 items for removal and when I do, they reappear next time. Proof of the bloat that comes with my particular ISP and Zone Alarm but no cause for alarm (no pun intended!).

7. vanmol

vanmol

I currently use 2 registry cleaners. Sorry but neither are freeware but only cost around $30.00 US. I have complete confidence in Ace Utilities. It is fast and safe. Just started using Fix-It Utilities5. It is slower but I believe it digs a little deeper and the results are rated.

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Registry cleaning won't help. Best to run Ad-aware and a few on-line AV scans.

9. fast82vette

Well, thanks to those that posted input. It sounds like I should leave well enough alone when it comes to the registry. I use Trend Micro Internet Securities 2004, Ad-aware 6 Plus, AdSubtract Pro, and Spybot - Search and Destroy. I don't know what SP2 is doing, but I turned off the Windows firewall, since I have Trend Micro's firewall set up already. I might mention I had Norton Internet Securities 2003 installed and I could never get it working for long before it had errors (almost daily) and told me to uninstall and reinstall. I did everything by the instructions so many times, I had it memorized. Symantec was worthless when it comes to tech support. I would tell them everything I could think of that might help and when I got replies, sometimes a week later, they would ask me questions that were answered in my email to them. That shows they don't read what you send them or they are just stupid. After trying to have them help me for just about 9 weeks, they tell me I can get a refund and gave me a link. I clicked on the link and one of the first things I see is I can get a refund if I had it for under 60 days. I had asked if I could get a free download for Norton Internet Securities 2004, about 4 times, since I had almost the whole year of updates for 2003. They wouldn't do it. Like it's going to cost them anything to try to satisfy a customer. I asked if I could get updates for the rest of the year if I installed my copy of Norton Internet Security 2002 and they said no. I wrote back and told them I'd NEVER buy another Symantec product ever. Then someone in a special department contacted me 3 weeks later and wanted to help me fix the problem. What a joke! I told them I had installed Trend Micro Internet Securities for a 30 day trial and I thought it was great and ran flawlessly. So I purchased it just before the 30 days were up. Trend Micro's updates are very fast and sometimes updates 1-3 times a day. I love it! While Norton was screwing up, and before installing Trend Micro Internet Security 2004 PC-cillin, I got a bad worm that was sending it to everyone in my address book. Norton's web scan couldn't find the virus. I ran Trend Micro from the web and they had a tool that searched and cleaned it out. I swear by Trend Micro and I will purchase it again when the year of updates runs out.

Also, Trend Micro's tech support is professional, quick response, and their instructions are very easy to understand and best of all, actually helps me do what it was I wanted to do. I'd say they have the best tech support I've come across.

S&D finds 3 entries, "DSO Exploit" and I have it fix it and next time I run it, they are there again.

Other than the registry, I don't know what might be causing my PC to run slow. Sometimes when web pages takes a minute or more to load, I reboot and they load up fairly quick again. :-| I have 1.5GB of DDR RAM, so I don't think I'm running out of memory anytime soon, or am I?

10. brindle

brindle

If you have the latest IE patches, update, fixes etc. you can check DSO exploit in S&D.
    mode, advanced, settings, ignore programs, security tab, check dso exploit, close S&D reboot then run S&D and you will now get congrats.
    Here's a XP msconfig link you might be interested in.
    I happen to be one of those (as Togg mentioned) that believe registry cleaners can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

11. fast82vette

Brindle,

I appreciate your info., suggestions, directions. I followed your directions and the exploit is taken care of. I went into MSCONFIG and removed a couple of things. I had 19 programs in startup.

Now I have another problem, but I will start a new thread.

This issue is closed for now.

Thankx, :cool:

12. brindle

brindle

Your very welcome and we all appreciate you giving us an update.
    Brett

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice