1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best (and Most Stylish) Water Cooling Kit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Servant of Eru, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru Thread Starter

What is the best water cooling kit? I want one that's stylish, and is very efficient at what it's supposed to do. I also want it to have it's own CPU and GPU blocks. It needs to be compatible with an Intel P4 Socket 478, and an ATI Radeon 9800.

Thanx in advance,
    Irox51987

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

This is really not the place to ask such a question... While there is helpful info given to people who are upgrading, this is mostly a TECH HELP site, not a BUILD A HOT-ROD site.

use www.google.com to look up reviews on water cooling.

My take on watercooling : Why bother? One screw up or failure means one completely dead computer. usually kills everything.

3. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru Thread Starter

IYO then, what would be a better option then water cooling? I want something relatively quiet, and I want something that keeps it cool. I mean, cool enough to do a significant amount of overclocking with.

Also, this will all be related to tech help once I receive and commence building of my rig. As it will be my first ever completely built by me; and I'm going to need a fair amount of help getting it running right. Right now I'm just trying to pick good components that will work effectively together, be easy to put together, and while not sacrificing too much performance be fairly easy on my bank account. :)

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

?????

1 - Water cooling is not typically quieter... they require FANS and/or pumps which make NOISE. Get a better case with many LOW RPM coolers. Kingwin ($150) is more silent with 4 fans than typical cases with 2.

2 - The coolest Water Cooler I saw, at Comdex - from talking to one of the egineers of it - was really not much cooler than a standard HSF... There is one I saw at frys that is has HUGE fins shapped like a flower, about $35 - Looked well designed.

3 - I'm an OC'er - but I'm not into overkill... its not worth the noise or effort for 5fps.

4 - This is your First complete RIG and you want to go overboard? Seriously, I think Water Cooling for a HOME computer is kinda in the "NEAT-O" thing - as I myself like my blue lights inside the case ( http://www.geocities.com/nfaq/pics ) - but when the lights fail, they dont usually destory whole computers. I've built over 500 computers - I wouldn't put a water cooler in my machines. If you look at Servers and high end systems costing $10,000~$30,000 they are NOT using water cooling.

Your first system should be somewhat STANARD... you should get the basics down first, don't you think? Like when I get a new board, I read through the manual... it takes a couple of builds of the SAME board before I can do it manualless, but boards change every 6 months. :) And I no longer built PCs every day.

Spend money towards a very good case and quiet PSUs and low RPM drives and sound-dampner pads - rather than $100~200 for a water kit... it's cheaper, more reliable and safer.

5. zeddy

zeddy

irox51987,

despite compilerxps obvious concern about watercooling, it is a viable and increasingly safe alternative means of cooling. Many reputable "standard" higher-end cooling manufacturers are bringing out watercooling kits. You just have to follow the instructions carefully to ensure that they dont leak!

Look for kits from Innovatek, Thermaltake, Koolance or Swiftech.

The thermaltake aquarius 2 kit is a good "higher end" entry level kit. And we are talking 20-20 decibels noise (that includes pump and fan).

6. suesman

suesman

I agree that watercooling solutions are much safer than what they used to be, but ( ain't there always a but? :D ) there is just something about liquids & electronics being in the same enviroment that just doesn't compute ( pardon the pun ) with me.

If you do decide to go with the water? Disconnect all power from the computer & put all the watercooler connections together before you mount it to the motherboard & run it for a couple days steady. That way if any leaks develope, you can fix them before you have power running to the computer.

Best of luck to ya man.

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

There used to be a LINK (its dead now) that I had... I wish I snagged the photos...

The guy's water cooler sprung a leak between the two pieces of the CPU heaksink... Needless to say... the whole machine was a mess - burns everywhere.. burnt up water marks etc etc...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice