1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by funkdmonkey, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey Thread Starter

For quite a few years now i've been using Norton. For quite a few years now i've been getting virus and poor performance. From what ive seen Norton is basically the absolute worst and the only reason people buy and use it is because its a big-brand name product. Im totally fed up with it and i am seeking a new antivirus.

This antivirus must be the opposite of Norton : Quick, Superb detection, and low cpu usage. I've decided i dont want AVGAvast, Pc-cillin or any other free antiviruses, they dont cut it. Im starting to want Panda antivirus Titanium edition 2005. It seems to be the perfect match. I need a few opinions tho, it only has to search for virus. I dont need any slow firewall/internet worm/spyware detection.

Anyone?

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

not asking alot are you. you have it narrowed down so well. that whatever we suggest here, you would probably disagree with anyway.

do what is best for you. and when trouble knocks at your door. we will be here to help you. :)

3. funkdmonkey

no no, im open to opinions. Dont mind my restrictions and tell me whatever antivirus u believe is the best.

4. TOGG

TOGG

From what I've read at various forums, NOD32 and Kapersky seem to rate very highly amongst the paid for programs.

I'm currently using NOD, (after dumping NAV when they stopped supporting 2003 in the Autumn of 2004!), and it seems to be very light on resources.

Now I don't have to d/l over 5MB of definitions every day on a dialup connection,(which I did if I didn't want to wait for the weekly NAV Live Updates). NOD and Kapersky update nearly every day and, sometimes, more often.

5. cheese

cheese

I really like NOD32, but i need money to renew subscription. I use free Avast! now, im not sure how good it is yet though.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can still get updates for Norton 2002 and Norton 2003.

7. TOGG

TOGG

I understand that users of NAV 2000 can still get definitions updates, but I am not sure whether programs that old can cope with the latest threats.

Anyway, my decision to change was the result of irritation with the Symantec site when I attempted to renew my subscription (I just got into an endless loop) plus the realisation that I could get NOD32 for the same, or slightly less, than Symantec wanted.

The last time I looked, my system resources were more than 70%, when I had NAV they were 50% or less.

8. funkdmonkey

Has anyone tried F-secure?

9. cheese

cheese

F-Secure comes with my ISP as a free download, but i havent heard much about it.

10. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

11. Pandatech

Pandatech

Panda titanium 2005 is a alright version of panda, however the protection is limited to virus's. In order to get the best protection panda offers the Panda platinum internet security is the best way to go. Norton is ok but uninstallation is very sloppy and doesnt protect as much as it should. I have no experience with AVG. My overall opinion is also the AV is only as good as the user using the software. Panda is good about updating automatically every 30 min, however this still needs to be watched none the less to ensure that updates are comming in regularly. It is also important that no other AV software is installed with panda on the machine or installing the panda over another AV. This can cause a conflict of software which could crash your system. This is not a uncommon issue with AV software.

12. JayT

JayT

IMHO Nod32 will do everything that you are asking an antivirus software to do. I use it and it has saved me a number of times. It is light on resources, not terribly expensive, and has an excellent users forum. You can download a trial version that lasts for 30 days here: http://www.nod32.com/download/download.htm

The only drawback of the trial version is that it downloads the whole database each update. The regular purchased version only downloads the latest updates (usually only a few kbs in size).

13. John Burns

John Burns

BUT - Norton no longer supports NAV 2002 or 2003 and they advised me to install 2004 or 2005 - believe me, I tried to keep 2003 and they were not at all encouraging as to the protection provided if I kept 2003. I went to AVG and like it much better than Norton (which I had had for several years).

14. 911

I am using CA EZ suite(Antivirus and Firewall) that came with Road-runner. It's getting close to a year, now, and I have not had a single problem or infection.

15. reality6337

reality6337

Ive heard a lot of good things about AVG and its working well for me

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice