1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best anti-virus?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by kirklott, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirklott

kirklott Thread Starter

I've been using ESET (after numerous suggestions here) and license is expired.

My office mate mentioned Windows now offers a free (and good?) anti-virus?

Go with windows? Renew ESET? Switch to something else?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    If you search this forum a bit you'll see that this is one of the most common questions, and annoyingly is one that has no answer. At best you can get the personal opinions of people. I'm using the Microsoft AV (MSE) right now, and it is light, unobrusive, and seems to work well enough (coupled of course with a bit of sense in what threats you subject the machine to.) If you want to go for that option, the download link is: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

At the end of the day there is no best solution partly because each is suited to individuals machines. If you are on a slowish machine I'd certainly recommend Avira or MSE. If you have money to burn and want the peak of security Kaspersky and Trend are meant to be particularly excellent. Additional features also affect the decision. For example Avast has a huge number of extras including network and P2P monitors and a boot time scan. It all boils down to what your needs are and what resources (money and system resources) you can spend on security.

Don't forget that an Antivirus on its own will not be enough to protect you. A firewall, antispyware scanners, and a healthy helping of common sense are critical components. There are other ways to stay safe.

3. valis

valis Moderator

as Ent said, you could ask 100 people and get 90 answers. I used AVG for years, no problems, switched to MSE, both are free and rather robust.

But the bottom line is that 90% of not getting infected is common sense.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Additionally, there is no single antivirus program that will catch 100% of all viruses. That is because many new ones are introduced every day.

I use ESET. It was received pretty good ranking but wasn't rated as good this year. Go to av-comparatives.org and take a look at their test results.

A fellow member here, aka Bret, went to test the latest viruses against popular antivirus programs and he said ESET was good.

5. kirklott

kirklott Thread Starter

Thank you for your help!

6. gridl0ck

gridl0ck

Like everyone says it comes down to personal preference. I use Bitdefender easy to use and has a lot of functionality. Usually comes in top 3 in them "what anti-virus reviews".

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

ESET and Kaspersky..both great products

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Bitdefender had great detection when I tried it...the problem was the product itself was more easily crippled when being subjected to viruses.{than Kaspersky or ESET}
    Since not all viruses are detected by AV products I weigh in the products durability itself..if the product becomes crippled it cant update..it wont be able to 'kill' that virus when the updates come out the next day as it cant update

So lets say I had 50 bad files and ESET and Kaspersky caught 47...but Bitdefender caught 48..but the one{s} it didnt catch crippled it..The other 2 products that arent crippled will be able to update and more than likely kill that bad file tomorrow during a round of updates

9. lovely_31

lovely_31

i hv been using macfee security centre dats good n uses minimum RAM

10. marine81

marine81

i myself use AVG on all of my machines with different windows OSes (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice