1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best backups for Windows Server 2008

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by PK-her0, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

Hello guys,

is it just me? i hate tape backups, i have always had a problem with them.
    anyway i plan to back up 300GB of server data (company files etc) to 4 or 5 x 1TB hard drives
    and i dont want to use any backup utility that compresses or puts the data into its own propriotory type file.
    i just want a plain copy of the data that i can copy back to the server if there is a problem, or the server crashes.
    i was using backup exec 12 for sbs2003, it was a nightmare, and the one time i had to recover a mailbox for outlook 2003
    it took me like a whole weekend.

anyway my problem is this...is there a copy util i can use for server 2008 that will let me keep a history of maybe a month.

say if i copy 300GB to hdd 1 then to 2 then 3 ...as i swop the drives, but it will delete the oldest copy when space is low.
    is there such a thing or will this need to be done with batch files

your input would really be valuable

thanks
    pk

2. Rockn

Rockn

I would stick with Backup Exec if you had already paid for it. It is like any utility that you use for backups in that you are going to have to take the time to learn how to use it properly for creating backups and recovering the data. Exchange backups will always be a pain and you have to learn how to restore them correctly. If you want something better you are going to have to spend some money and it will not be cheap, don't skimp on your backups unless you really don't care about the data.

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

"don't skimp on your backups unless you really don't care about the data." 1000% agree ROCK!!!
    im not using exchange anymore, using gmail now. i was using backup exec on sbs2003 server
    but not anymore on the upgraded 2008 server.

thanks for the input

4. Rockn

Rockn

Just making backups locally is also a sure way to lose all of your data at some point.

5. mvirata

mvirata

Our company uses Replay by Appassure. It's pretty neat, it backs up any physical server to a virtual one. So if you are virtualized on VMware if that physical server dies, you can bring it up on a VMware server immediately. It does file systems and exchange as well, mailbox and files restores are a cinch. We have our file systems backing up every hour and restoring is quick and painless.

We combine this with a product Veeam, which does the same thing but it backs up virtual servers. It's pretty good we don't really need to run tape backups anymore, we export our servers to external HDs via an esata connection.

Obviously not a quick and easy solution, but something to consider.

6. srhoades

srhoades

The built in backup with Server 2008 will do what you want.

7. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

that sounds pretty good...but is that all on the same LAN? i have to agree with Rockn...if its in the same site, its a danger...what if some malicious fool hacks in and deletes everything?

still i like the idea of having a backup server that will run if something goes wrong...

8. helix2301

helix2301

I agree our incremental backups have saved us a few times when we corrupted a server during an upgrade or an update cycle. Exchange gave us some issues as well with backup exec go into the client setting on the server and create a backup service account that is part of the exchange admins group, scheme admins and domain admins. That might fix the issue.

9. valis

valis Moderator

helix2301, I'm editing out the links in all your posts. Feel free to add a link in your signature line, but please do not add them to the general thread of your post, it will be reported as spam.

Thanks,

v

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice